Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice is a quick and easy one pot meal made with chicken breasts, jasmine rice, vegetables and teriyaki sauce. This delicious chicken recipe comes together quickly and is perfect for busy weeknights!
One pot meals are my favorite quick and easy dinner recipes for busy days. I made this super simple Instant Pot teriyaki chicken and rice recipe the other night, and my whole family loved it! Not only is this one of the easiest Instant Pot chicken recipes to make, but clean up is quick, too.
The chicken and rice cook together at the same time, so you only have one pressure cooker to wash. I do have an Instant Pot teriyaki chicken recipe with homemade teriyaki sauce, but to make this easy chicken dinner even easier, I use my favorite jar of teriyaki sauce.
You'll definitely want to add this delicious meal to your list of easy Instant Pot recipes to try! If you like Asian inspired recipes, you might also like Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken or Instant Pot Korean Beef.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make Instant Pot teriyaki chicken bowls:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Vegetable oil -- Olive oil or avocado oil is fine, too
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder and ground ginger
- Chicken broth -- or water
- Jasmine rice -- or brown rice -- rinsed under cold, running water
- Teriyaki sauce -- I use Soy Vay low sodium, but any brand is fine
- Frozen Mixed veggies -- thawed
- Pineapple chunks or tidbets
Note -- If you want to make homemade teriyaki sauce, you'll need soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey or brown sugar and a splash or sesame oil, if you like.
How to Make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowls
First, you'll need to cut up your chicken into roughly 1-inch pieces. Then, turn the electric pressure cooker to sauté mode, and add some vegetable oil when it gets hot.
Add your chicken pieces. As the chicken cooks, season with sea salt, pepper, ginger and garlic powder. Cook the chicken until it's no longer pink.
You may need to deglaze the bottom of the pot with chicken broth or cold water to make sure no meat is sticking to the pot.
Next, turn the pot off. Add your uncooked rice over the chicken (make sure you rinse it first).
Then, pour the chicken broth over the rice, and make sure it's fully covered. Next, add the teriyaki sauce, but do not stir everything together. This helps prevent getting the burn notice.
Place the lid on the pot, and make sure the vent is set to sealing. Depending upon your make/model of pressure cooker, it may do this automatically.
Set the cook time to 4 minutes on high pressure. After the cook time is up, you'll hear the instant pot beep. You want to allow a 10 minute natural pressure release to allow the rice to finish cooking. This is the same way you cook Instant Pot jasmine rice by itself.
After the natural release, hit the pressure valve to quick release the remaining pressure, and remove the lid. Stir in the veggies and the pineapple, and you have a complete meal!
If you want more sauce, you can add some now or when you serve the chicken teriyaki rice bowls.
You can also throw in some chopped green onions or sesame seeds for garnish and extra flavor it you want. This flavorful Instant Pot teriyaki chicken really doesn't need anything else -- You have the perfect balance of flavors between the tender chicken, seasoned rice, veggies and pineapple.
It's easy to change up this delicious chicken teriyaki to suit your own needs and tastes. For example, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs for the meat and brown rice instead of white rice.
Instead of frozen mixed vegetables, use broccoli, sugar snap peas or green beans. Want to add some heat? Spice up this quick meal by adding a dash of sriracha sauce!
This easy instant pot recipe makes a lot of chicken and rice! You can make less if you want, but it's also perfect for meal prep! Store leftover teriyaki chicken in an airtight container in the fridge. It keeps well for 3 to 4 days.
For longer storage, place smaller portions in a gallon freezer bag or freezer safe containers. It reheats easily in the microwave.
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce low sodium
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- Turn the Instant Pot pressure cooker to Sauté mode. When it heats up, add the vegetable oil and chicken.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and ginger, and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Hit Cancel to turn pot off. Deglaze pot with some of the broth if necessary to prevent meat from sticking.
- Add the rice over the chicken, then pour the broth over the rice. Lightly mix to make sure rice is covered in liquid. Pour teriyaki sauce over broth, but do not mix
- Place lid on pressure cooker, and make sure vent is set to sealing position. Hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure. After 4 minutes cook time on high pressure, the pot will beep. Allow a 10 minute natural pressure release. Then, quick release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, remove lid. Stir in vegetables and pineapple. Mix well until mixture is completely blended, and serve
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot teriyaki chicken as much as we do. For more delicious recipes, sign up for my weekly newsletter. You'll get easy recipes delivered straight to your inbox!