This simple Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken recipe is quick and easy to make and so much better than take out! A delicious dinner ready in 30 minutes!
It’s so easy to make the best homemade teriyaki chicken in your Instant Pot! Seriously, just add everything to the pressure cooker, press start, and dinner is ready in about a half an hour. You’ll definitely want to add this one to your list of Instant Pot recipes to try!
I’ve been working on adding new easy chicken recipes to our weekly dinner rotation, and I experimented with this chicken teriyaki several times before I was satisfied. Even though my family loves the teriyaki chicken from our favorite Japanese restaurant, they all agreed the flavors of this Instant Pot version are spot-on. Go me!
What is Teriyaki Sauce Made of?
Traditional Japanese teriyaki sauce contains rice wine (mirin), sake and soy sauce. My version is based on the delicious marinade in my grandma’s recipe for pineapple teriyaki chicken wings.
I used pineapple juice, soy sauce, a touch of rice vinegar, brown sugar and a splash of sesame oil, plus brown sugar, minced onions, ginger and garlic. You can easily find these ingredients in most grocery stores, and you probably have the spices in your pantry.
You can use fresh ginger and garlic, but I like the convenience of using dried spices in this quick and easy recipe.
How to Cook Teriyaki Chicken in the Instant Pot
There’s no need to marinate the chicken because pressure cooking will help lock in the flavors. Just mix the teriyaki sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
Place the chicken in the pressure cooker along with a little olive oil or vegetable oil. Then, pour the sauce over the chicken. You don’t need any water because the chicken will release plenty of liquid as it cooks.
Next, pressure cook the chicken for 10 minutes, and allow a natural release. There’s not a ton of liquid here, so it only takes 6 or 7 minutes to release the pressure naturally.
Remove the chicken to a plate, and slice it up — It practically falls apart on it’s own! If you want a nice, thick teriyaki sauce, use the Saute button to reduce the liquid, and add a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up.
I used additional soy sauce to make the slurry. You can use extra pineapple juice or even plain old water if you want!
Add the chicken back in to soak up all that delicious, sweet and savory sauce. Then, serve it over Instant Pot Jasmine Rice, and top it with scallions, sesame seeds or whatever you want!
Optional cooking method — dice chicken into cubes, saute until no longer pink, add sauce, and pressure cook for 4 minutes. I made it this way the first couple of times, but I like the set it and forget it way better!
More Easy Chicken Recipes for the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for information.
Easy Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or water
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic powder, ginger, rice vinegar and sesame oil together until well combined
- Pour the olive oil into the inner pot, and place the chicken in the pot.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken, and place lid on the Instant Pot
- Turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes. Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure and start cooking
- When pot beeps, allow a natural release. When pin drops, hit CANCEL to turn pot off, remove lid, then remove chicken to a plate, and slice. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Mix cornstarch and soy sauce (or water) together in a small bowl. Hit SAUTE, and when sauce starts to bubble, stir in the cornstarch slurry and allow to cook until it starts to thicken.
- Hit CANCEL, add chicken back to pot, and stir. Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy this simple Instant Pot teriyaki chicken as much as we do!