My Favorite Meatloaf is an easy classic meatloaf recipe that's fork tender, juicy and topped with a tangy tomato sauce for extra flavor.
This traditional meatloaf is honestly one of the best meatloaf recipes out there. It's made with just a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand, and it's just plain delicious!
I found this hand-written, old fashioned recipe for meatloaf in my grandma's recipe stash. It's not the one I grew up with, but since it's actually titled "My Favorite Meatloaf Recipe," I had to make it.
Friends, I love my usual Cheddar BBQ Meatloaf, but this is one amazing recipe! The meat is tender, juicy and the glaze is super flavorful.
I had to make a couple of minor adjustments with the directions, but I pretty much made this easy meatloaf recipe just as written. My family absolutely loved it, and the Hubs says it reminds him of his mom's meatloaf!
How to Make Traditional Glazed Meatloaf
Start out by adding ground beef and the rest of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. I also like to beat the egg a little before adding it -- just a personal preference.
Mix the Ingredients with your Hands
Then, dig in, and start mixing the ingredients together with your hands. It's really the best way to do it.
Form the Loaf in a Baking Dish
Don't overmix the meat. As soon as it all starts to stick together, it's time to form it into a loaf and place it in a baking dish.
You want to form the loaf so that it's not too thick -- otherwise, it takes longer to cook. This meatloaf is about 2 inches thick.
Make the Glaze for Meatloaf
Pop the meatloaf into the oven, and get started on the glaze. Just mix the ingredients together in a small bowl, and pour it all over the meatloaf.
You can baste the loaf with the glaze while it bakes, or leave it alone.
How Long to Bake Meatloaf
The meatloaf takes about an hour to bake. When the temperature reaches 160 degrees internally, it's done.
What Sides go with Meatloaf
Pin image to save recipe
Variations on a Meatloaf Theme
Favorite Glazed Meatloaf Recipe
My Favorite Meatloaf
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs roughly chopped from 3 slices of fresh bread
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow or white onion chopped, about ½ cup
For the glaze
- ½ can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
For the Meatloaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place the ground beef into a large mixing bowl
- Add the breadcrumbs, egg, half the can of tomato sauce, sea salt, pepper and chopped onion, and mix well using your hands
- Form the meat into a loaf about 2 inches high, and place in baking pan or casserole dish
- Place loaf into oven, make the glaze, and pour glaze over meatloaf
- Bake for 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, according to meat thermometer
For the Glaze
- Pour the remaining half of the tomato sauce into a small mixing bowl, and add the water
- Add the mustard, vinegar and brown sugar, and mix until well combined
I hope you enjoy our favorite meatloaf recipe as much as we do!