Baked Apple Spice Cake Donuts made with cake mix and applesauce and topped with a sweet apple cider glaze are easy and perfect for fall!
You only need 2 ingredients for this super easy donut recipe — spice cake mix and applesauce! We added a little extra spice for flavor and topped them with a scrumptious apple cider glaze.
Last year, my daughter made Pumpkin Spice Donuts with spice cake mix and pumpkin puree. They are so good, but these little gems might be even better!
Next to homemade apple cider donuts from scratch, this is the next-best thing. If you’re looking for an easy fall breakfast or snack, these cake mix donuts are for you!
2 Ingredient Donut Recipe with Spice Cake Mix and Apple Sauce
To make these cake mix donuts, just mix the unsweetened applesauce with a box of spice cake mix. Use your favorite brand here.
We added a little bit of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg for extra flavor. This is optional, so if you don’t have those spices, just use the cake mix.
Easy Apple Cider Glaze
The donuts take just about 10 minutes to bake. After that, dunking them in an easy glaze made with apple cider and powdered sugar makes them even better!
Allow the donuts to cool while you make the glaze. Then dunk them in, let the glaze firm up, and enjoy!
These easy apple cider donuts are soft, light and practically melt in your mouth. They’re also lower in fat regular donuts, but you would never know by tasting them.
If you don’t want to make the glaze, just brush on some melted butter, and dip the donuts in a mix of cinnamon and sugar. You’ll get a cinnamon sugar taste kind of like these easy Air Fryer Donuts.
But trust, me. You will definitely want to make this glaze!
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Apple Spice Cake Mix Donuts Recipe
Apple Spice Cake Donuts
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
Apple cider glaze
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spray donut pans with non stick baking spray
- Mix cake mix and applesauce and spices (if using) in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Spoon batter into a piping bag or a gallon freezer storage bag, and cut the tip off of one corner
- Pipe batter into each cavity about two-thirds full
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until donuts bounce back lightly when pressed
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing to a baking rack to cool completely
- In a mixing bowl, mix the powdered sugar, apple cider and spices until smooth. Dunk the tops of the cooled donuts into the glaze, and allow to dry on a baking rack or large platter
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!