2 ingredient Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix Donuts are made with cake mix and pumpkin puree and topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting. Perfect for fall!
If you're looking for an easy fall breakfast or brunch, you can't go wrong with these easy cake mix donuts! All you need is a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree. Enjoy them plain or top them with a simple cream cheese frosting!
2 ingredient recipes are the BEST, especially when you're short on time! I've made 2 ingredient bagels, cakes, cookies and muffins, and my daughter and I made these 2 ingredient donuts over the weekend.
These pumpkin donuts are light and airy, unlike most baked donuts. They're not super sweet, either.
Actually, the basic 2 ingredient donut recipe is Weight Watchers friendly. The cream cheese frosting? Not so much. But that's up to you.
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
How to Make 2 Ingredient Pumpkin Donuts
To make the basic pumpkin cake mix donuts, you'll need:
- Spice cake mix
- Pumpkin puree
- Donut pan
- Piping bag (not completely makes filling donut pan easier)
Just mix the cake mix with the pumpkin puree. Make sure you use a can of pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
We also added some spices for extra flavor. It's not necessary, so if you want to keep this donut recipe super simple and truly 2 ingredients, you can just leave them out.
Then, fill a piping bag with the cake batter, and pipe it into the donut pan. You can also use a plastic zip-top bag and snip off the corner or spoon the batter into the pan. The piping bag just makes it easier!
After the donuts are done baking, you can get started on the frosting. Just mix the cream cheese, butter and cream with some spices in a large mixing bowl.
When the pumpkin donuts are completely cool, go ahead and frost them. And add your favorite fall sprinkles to the top!
Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix Donuts Recipe
Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix Donuts
- piping bag
For the Donuts
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice optional
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
For the Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- dash cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spray donut pans with non stick baking spray
- Mix cake mix and pumpkin puree and spices (if using) in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Spoon batter into a piping bag or a gallon freezer storage bag, and cut the tip off of one corner
- Pipe batter into each cavity about two-thirds full
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until donuts bounce back lightly when pressed
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing to a baking rack to cool completely
For the frosting
- Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth
- Add in the vanilla and stir until fully combined
- Gradually mix in the powdered sugar
- Stir in the whipping cream
- Add the pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and nutmeg, and stir well
- Spread frosting over the donuts and top with fall sprinkles
For thick frosting, omit cream or milk.