Easy Baked Carrot Cake Donuts made from cake mix and topped with cream cheese frosting are perfect for Easter Brunch or a special treat!
Baked carrot cake donuts are basically 2 ingredient donuts that are made with cake mix and applesauce. If you're looking for a super easy donut recipe for Easter breakfast or brunch, this is it!
My oldest daughter has been experimenting with different baked donut recipes, and she made these incredibly easy carrot cake donuts the other day. These cake mix donuts are made without oil or eggs, so they're lighter than most baked donut recipes but just as delicious!
The kids are donut connoisseurs, and they practically inhaled these carrot cake donuts. We topped them off with homemade cream cheese frosting, and they really do taste like carrot cake!
How to make carrot cake donuts from cake mix
For the basic two ingredient donuts, you need a box of carrot cake mix and applesauce. Just mix the cake mix and applesauce together until it's well blended.
We used unsweetened applesauce, but you can use whatever you have. We also added a touch of cinnamon for extra flavor.
Can you make donuts without a donut pan?
Contains affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for information.
You can use a mini bundt pan or improvise by adding a foil insert to a muffin tin. We tried this, but honestly a donut pan is so much easier.
We use Wilton donut pans and love them! Next, pipe or spoon the batter into two donut pans. If you don't have a pastry bag, use a gallon freezer bag, and cut a small piece off of one corner.
Pop the donuts into the oven, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The donuts should be a light golden brown, and the tops should spring back lightly when touched.
After the donuts cool down a little, transfer them to a cooling rack or plate. We used a basic homemade cream cheese frosting to top these beauties off. You can also use a glaze or your favorite frosting here.
Don't forget the sprinkles! Donuts have to have sprinkles, right?!
More Easy 2 Ingredient Recipes
Easy Baked Carrot Cake Donut Recipe
Baked Carrot Cake Donuts
For the donuts
- 1 box carrot cake mix
- 1 ⅔ cups applesauce
- dash of cinnamon optional
For cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 tablespoons milk
For the donuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spray donut pans with non stick baking spray
- Mix cake mix and applesauce in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Add a dash of cinnamon, if desired
- Spoon batter into a piping bag or a gallon freezer storage bag, and cut the tip off of one corner
- Pipe batter into each cavity about two-thirds full
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until donuts bounce back lightly when pressed
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing to a baking rack to cool completely
For the frosting
- Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth
- Add in the vanilla and stir until fully combined
- Gradually mix in the powdered sugar
- Stir in the whipping cream
- Spread frosting over the donuts and top with sprinkles
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this easy donut recipe as much as we do!
Great fun to make with the kids! Easy too! We are going to make these often!
Sweetened or unsweetened applesauce?
I always use unsweetened, since that's what I buy. Sweetened works, but the donuts may taste even sweeter.
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert says
I need to try this immediately, it looks so good!
I hope you get a chance, Erin. Thanks! 🙂
I think it's time I get my doughnut pan out again!
Beth Pierce says
What a great idea as a healthier alternative than traditional donuts, and just in time for Easter, too!
Thanks, Beth! These are definitely going on our Easter menu. 🙂
Dorothy at Shockinglydelish says
What a perfect way to celebrate spring! Think I will make a batch this weekend!
Jade Manning says
How awesome I love this idea!!
Thanks, Jade! We loved them. 🙂
I love how easy these are to make using a cake mix. So clever! Can't wait to make them.
These donuts are super easy! Hope you like them. 🙂