Cheesy Hamburger Casserole with potatoes and mixed vegetables is a super easy dinner recipe and a budget friendly way to stretch a pound of ground beef!
Looking for cheap dinner ideas with ground beef? You need to try this easy hamburger potato casserole recipe.
We have a large family, so I'm always looking for ways to make a pound of ground beef feed 7 people and last for maybe one more meal. Not always easy, but it can be done!
What's in this Ground Beef Casserole
This ground beef casserole uses simple ingredients and no cream soups. It does have plenty of cheese, and it's definitely comfort food! Here's what's in this easy recipe:
- Ground beef and onions
- Heavy cream
- Beef broth and Worcestershire sauce
- Mixed veggies
- Salt, pepper and garlic
How to Make Cheesy Hamburger Casserole
First, sauté your chopped onions in a little olive oil. When they're soft, add the ground beef.
Season the beef with salt, pepper and garlic. And, cook until the beef is no longer pink.
Next, stir in the liquid until everything is well combined. Add your mixed veggies.
If you don't have mixed veggies, you can use just corn or peas or any combo here. If you want, you can leave them out completely.
You can let the meat mixture hang out on low while you prepare the potatoes. I used russets here because that's what we had.
You can also use Yukon Gold, and you won't have to peel them! Thinly slice them, and place them in layers in a greased casserole dish.
Place a layer of the meat mixture over the potatoes. Then, sprinkle cheese over the meat, and repeat the layers.
You'll have a layer of potatoes, then meat, cheese, potatoes, meat, cheese and one final layer of potatoes on top.
Top with more cheese, and bake! The potatoes will get nice and crispy on top, and you can add more cheese before serving.
Let the casserole cool down a little bit before you cut into it. 5 to 10 minutes is perfect.
It'll thicken up as it cools down and be just right when you serve it! Friends, this is budget friendly, home-cooked comfort food!
Cheesy Hamburger Casserole Recipe
Cheesy Hamburger Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound ground beef lean
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 bag mixed vegetables or vegetables of choice
- 3 medium potatoes sliced thin, peeled russet or unpeeled Yukon Gold
- 4 ½ cups Colby Jack or cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sauté onions in olive oil until soft
- Add ground beef, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper, and cook until no longer pink
- Stir in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and cream, then stir in mixed vegetables
- Grease or spray a 13 X 9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray, and add layer of potatoes, then half of the beef mixture, and some cheese
- Top with another layer of potatoes, remaining beef mixture and more cheese
- Top with remaining potatoes and more cheese, loosely cover with foil, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until potatoes are tender and dish is bubbly, about 45 minutes total
- Top with more cheese if needed, remove from oven, and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.