Make this One Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce recipe all in one pot or Dutch oven for a super easy dinner that’s ready in just 30 minutes! Easy clean-up too!
One pot pasta recipes are perfect for busy days because they’re quick, easy, kid friendly, and you only have one pan to wash. You cook the spaghetti in the sauce, not boiling water. Once you see how easy it is to cook spaghetti in tomato sauce, you’ll never want to cook it any other way!
I came up with this one pot spaghetti recipe after a few of you wrote in asking for a stove top version of my Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce. You cook the spaghetti in the sauce, not boiling water.
Spaghetti snobs ( I used to be one) may disagree, but believe me, this saves you a few steps, and it works! And sometimes, we just need easy. All you need for this easy spaghetti dinner is a large pot or Dutch oven — and a stove!
This spaghetti recipe calls for 16 ounces of spaghetti — a regular package, as opposed to 8 ounces. It makes a lot of pasta, but it’s perfect for leftovers, and it freezes well for later — easy meal prep!
How to Cook Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce
First, you cook the onions until they’re slightly soft, and then, you brown your ground beef. There’s no need to cook it all the way because it will finish cooking with the pasta.
If there’s a lot of grease, you can drain it. I use lean ground beef, so I usually skip this step. Next, season the meat, and you’re ready for the pasta.
You’ll need to break the uncooked spaghetti in half so that it cooks evenly and doesn’t clump together. Then, add your spaghetti to the pot, and pour in spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes and water.
If you want even more flavor for your spaghetti, you can use beef broth or chicken broth instead of water. Or, you can add a little red wine to really take this spaghetti dinner to the next level!
You do need to keep an eye on the pasta and stir frequently so that the spaghetti doesn’t clump together or stick to the bottom of the pot. As soon as the pasta is cooked al dente or to your liking, you’re done!
I like to sprinkle a little grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley over the top before serving. Doesn’t this look gorgeous?!
I use kitchen tongs to lift the spaghetti out of the pot directly to people’s plates. Honestly, you guys, this one pot spaghetti is a lifesaver on busy days!
My kids absolutely love spaghetti with meat sauce, and it works so well for feeding them before they head off to football or soccer or dance. Like I said, the leftovers are heat up well, and you can freeze for later.
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
More Easy One Pot Pasta Recipes
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
One Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Recipe
One Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1 16-ounce package spaghetti uncooked and broken in half
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottom bot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add the onion, and cook until slightly soft
- Add the ground beef, and cook until no longer pink. Drain beef if necessary, then add Italian seasoning blend, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper flakes (optional), and stir
- Add the spaghetti noodles, marinara sauce, diced tomatoes and water, and stir well, pushing the noodles under the liquid and separating them so they don't stick
- Cover, and bring to low boil over medium high heat, then remove cover, and stir frequently to make sure pasta doesn't stick and noodles aren't clumping together. Reduce heat to medium, if necessary
- When pasta is al dente or done to your liking, remove from heat, add some grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, if desired, and enjoy!
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!