Salsa Verde Chicken Bake is a quick and easy chicken dinner with few ingredients that takes just 30 minutes to cook. A simple recipe for busy days!
This recipe for baked cheesy salsa verde chicken, or green salsa chicken, was inspired by the easy enchilada chicken bake that I shared with you all a couple of months ago. Both of these oven baked chicken breast recipes are made the same way, and they’re both super easy one dish meals that you can make in 30 minutes.
If you’re looking for a super easy chicken dinner for your family, this is one to try. Even my picky eaters love it, and that’s always a good thing! It only takes a few quick minutes to prepare and only 30 minutes to bake, so it’s perfect for busy days or even lazy days when you don’t have a lot of energy to make dinner.
I’m having a lot of those lazy days. I’d just rather be spending time with the kids or just chillin’ — you know how it is.
How to Make Baked Salsa Verde Chicken
Basically all you do is season the chicken, pour tomatillo sauce over the meat, and bake. When the chicken is just about completely cooked, you top it with some spicy pepper jack cheese and let it bake for a couple minutes longer until the cheese is melted.
And that’s all, she wrote. Seriously, it doesn’t get much easier than this!
I use pepper jack cheese for a little extra spice, but you can tone down the heat and use a white cheddar or monterey jack, instead. If you top the chicken with sour cream, it takes the heat down even more.
Actually, this low carb chicken salsa verde isn’t that heavy at all. The tomatillo sauce is lighter than red sauce, and I like to keep the sides simple.
What to Serve with Salsa Verde Chicken
If you’re looking for more spicy cheesy chicken recipes, how about:
- One Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta
- One Pan Creamy Enchilada Chicken Pasta
- One Pan Jalapeno Popper Chicken Pasta
And if you’re a sucker for recipes that use salsa verde, you have to try Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken, Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas or this easy creamy salsa verde dip. You only need three ingredients, and it’s so good!
Salsa Verde Chicken Bake Recipe
Salsa Verde Chicken Bake
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ cups prepared salsa verde
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Lightly coat a 13 X 9-inch baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray
- Place chicken breasts in pan, and season with salt, pepper and cumin
- Pour salsa verde evenly over chicken
- Bake for 25 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees
- Top with pepper jack cheese, and bake for additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted
This baked green salsa chicken was shared over at The Weary Chef and published here originally in 2017. It has been updated in May 2019.