Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken is an easy slow cooker recipe made with chicken, taco seasoning and a bottle of salsa verde. This easy recipe makes the best shredded chicken for tacos, burrito bowls and other Mexican favorites.
Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Recipe
One of my go-to easy dinner recipes for busy weeknights is salsa chicken. I prefer green salsa, or salsa verde, over red salsa but the recipe is basically the same.
This simple recipe comes together in minutes with just a few minutes of prep time. You just add everything to your slow cooker, and dinner is ready when you are. It's perfect for busy days and ideal for meal prep -- you can use the shredded chicken in so many delicious ways.
If you're really in a hurry, you can use your Instant Pot. This is the best way to cook frozen chicken. Dinner is done in minutes!
You only need a few simple ingredients for this slow cooker salsa verde chicken recipe. They should be easy to locate in your grocery store. Full amounts are in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts -- I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but chicken thighs also work.
- Taco seasoning -- You can use a packet of taco seasoning or make your own homemade taco seasoning with garlic powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika and a few other ingredients
- Salsa verde -- I use Herdez, but any brand works.
How to Make Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
First spray the slow cooker with non stick spray or add a little olive oil to the bottom of the pot. Add chicken and taco seasoning. Then, pour the jar of salsa verde on top of the chicken.
Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours. The total cooking time may vary with different brands and sizes of slow cookers. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees f.
Remove the cooked chicken to a plate or large bowl, and shred with 2 forks or a hand mixer. You can also use a stand mixer to shred the chicken. Return to the slow cooker and keep on low or warm until ready to serve. You can garnish with fresh cilantro for added flavor and color.
How to Serve Salsa Chicken
Our favorite way to serve this shredded chicken is over jasmine rice in burrito bowls or taco bowls with black beans, sour cream and cheese or in burritos or chicken tacos. It also makes delicious green chicken enchiladas or chimichangas. Or serve over green salad with tortilla chips and your favorite taco toppings for a light meal.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate leftover salsa chicken in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Shredded chicken freezes well in a freezer-safe container or freezer bags for up to 3 months. Reheat chicken in the microwave.
More Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Recipes
If you love your slow cooker as much as we do, try my slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole or slow cooker teriyaki chicken or crock pot cooker Buffalo chicken. Find even more crockpot recipes your whole family will love!
Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 1 taco seasoning
- 16 oz salsa verde
- Spray bottom of slow cooker with non stick spray or use olive oil
- Place chicken in slow cooker
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning
- Pour salsa verde over chicken
- Top with lid, and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is 165℉
- Shred chicken using 2 forks or electric mixer, and return to crockpot on low or warm setting until ready to serve
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
For more easy crock pot recipes and easy meals your family will love, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media.