Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is one of the easiest chicken dinners ever. Make this easy shredded salsa chicken in the pressure cooker and use for tacos, enchiladas or meal prep bowls all week long!
Salsa chicken is one of the easiest Instant Pot recipes you can make! Seriously, you guys, there’s almost no way to mess this up, so it’s the perfect recipe for beginners to make in the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker!
I’ve been making shredded chicken in the Crock-Pot forever, but making shredded chicken in the Instant Pot is 10 times faster. You can use plain broth or water if you want unflavored chicken, but if you add a jar of salsa verde, you can use the chicken for enchiladas, tacos, burrito bowls and much, much more. And if you like to do make ahead meals, this Instant Pot salsa chicken will make meal prep a breeze!
We make this salsa verde chicken at least once a week, so I may just be slightly addicted here. I love anything with green salsa, and I love just about any kind of Mexican food, so this is probably my favorite easy chicken recipe on the planet. It’s not too spicy, so even the kids like it, which is always a plus!
If you’re not a fan of salsa verde, you can use red salsa, instead. Personally, even though I love to use red salsa for dips and as a topping, I don’t like it in salsa chicken. Weird, I know, but that’s me, friends!
Anyway, this Instant Pot shredded chicken could easily be a 2 ingredient recipe, since all you really need is uncooked chicken and salsa. But since I like to flavor the chicken, I add a few spices before I pour on the salsa verde.
You could use taco seasoning or try it without the extra seasoning. Best of all, from start to finish, this salsa chicken takes about 30 minutes to make in the Instant Pot!
How to make Instant Pot salsa verde chicken
To make the chicken, just place it on the bottom of the inner pot. I usually add a little bit of olive oil, as well. Then, you season the chicken, pour on the salsa, close the pot, and cook for 10 minutes.
When 10 minutes are up, do a natural release for 10 minutes and a quick release after that. Next, comes the fun part! You can use your electric hand-held mixer to easily shred the chicken! And that’s it, friends. You are ready to eat!
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes?
Looking for more Recipes with Salsa Verde?
- Crock-Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Sliders
- Salsa Verde Chicken Bake
- One Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta
- Salsa Verde White Queso Dip
- Salsa Verde Breakfast Burritos
- Salsa Verde Dip
Recipe for Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa verde
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot, and add the chicken
- Season the chicken with the sea salt, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika and pepper
- Pour the salsa verde over chicken, and mix slightly to make sure chicken is evenly covered
- Place lid on Instant Pot, set sealing valve to SEALING position, and hit PRESSURE COOK, or manual, for 10 minutes. (Pot will say ON as it comes to pressure, then begin counting down at 10 minutes)
- After 10 minutes of cooking, do a natural release for 10 minutes, then hit CANCEL and do a quick release until pin drops
- Open pot, allow to cool slightly, then use an electric mixer to shred the chicken
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken as much as we do!
Shared with more easy recipes at Weekend Potluck!