This Chickpea Salad Recipe with cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers in a quick homemade dressing is an easy high protein salad perfect for meal prep. Enjoy this easy garbanzo bean salad for a delicious lunch, or add grilled chicken for a complete meal.
Loaded with garbanzo beans, sweet tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and fresh, colorful veggies, easy chickpea salad recipe is one of my favorite salads to enjoy for an easy lunch or meatless dinner.
It's also a great option for meal prep. I like to make a big batch of this salad on the weekend to use for quick meals during the week. It also makes a fantastic side dish that pairs well with chicken, fish or pork.
I make a simple vinaigrette dressing with olive oil, fresh lemon juice and red wine vinegar. You could easily use your favorite salad dressing, though.
You only need a few simple ingredients for this healthy salad. If you don't have them in your pantry or fresh ingredients in the fridge, you can find them in your grocery store.
- Canned chickpeas -- One of my favorite pantry staples
- Cucumber -- an English cucumber or Persian cucumber works best
- Red onion -- adds flavor, color and crunch
- Grape tomatoes -- I love using garden fresh tomatoes in summer
- Bell peppers -- I used a red pepper, yellow pepper and an orange pepper
- Fresh parsley or basil -- this is optional, but adds extra flavor
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Seasonings -- sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and optional Italian seasoning for flavor
How to Make Easy Chickpea Salad
First, rinse the canned chickpeas, and drain them well. Then, pat them dry using a paper towel.
Next, make the lemon dressing. Simply, whisk the fresh lemon juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil together in a medium bowl.
Stir in a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Then, add your chickpeas, tomatoes and fresh veggies.
I also like to add plenty of fresh herbs, such as fresh mint, parsley, basil, and even fresh dill, for a fresh flavor, but this step is optional.
Next, stir everything together. Then, cover the bowl, and place in the refrigerator.
The flavors in this salad develop the longer it sits. I recommend letting the salad sit in the refrigerator for an hour or 2 before serving.
It really does make a difference! You may want to add more salt and pepper before serving.
How to Store
Store leftover salad in an airtight container, a bowl covered with plastic wrap, or even in a mason jar in the refrigerator, where it'll keep for 3 to 4 days.
I do wouldn't recommend keeping this flavorful chickpea salad at room temperature for too long, for food safety and so that the ingredients stay fresh and crisp.
I would not freeze this delicious salad.
Recipe Substitutions and Variations
There are a few great options to customize this naturally vegan chickpea salad.
Cheese makes everything better, so sprinkle some on top after you stir everything together. Feta cheese (goat cheese) is my personal favorite, but Parmesan, mozzarella or gorgonzola work, too.
To turn this into a Greek salad, add kalamata olives. Add some feta cheese, and you've got yourself a Greek chickpea salad.
Diced avocado or avocado slices add creaminess. Or add more of your favorite fresh vegetables or leafy greens, like baby spinach.
Don't have any sweet cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes? Roma tomatoes will work just as fine.
For more crunch, add some crunchy celery to this easy mediterranean chickpea salad. You can also easily double the recipe if needed.
Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 15 oz canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 medium English cucumber chopped
- ½ small red onion finely diced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley or basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Drain and rinse chickpeas
- Rinse and chop fresh veggies, herbs and tomatoes
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar and lemon juice until well blended. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Add the chickpeas and fresh ingredients, and stir well
- Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving for best taste. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
This yummy salad is full of colorful veggies and mediterranean flavors, so it's perfect for summer. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do because it's definitely one of my absolute favorites for a quick meal.
If you make our best chickpea salad recipe, please leave a star rating and comment.
For more of my favorite recipes, don't forget to follow me on social media and subscribe to my weekly newsletter!