Easy Baked Chicken with Zucchini and yellow squash is an easy sheet pan dinner perfect for busy weeknights. This easy recipe is a great way to use up garden fresh zucchini and takes just 20 minutes to cook!
If you're looking for a super quick and easy baked chicken and zucchini recipe, this sheet pan chicken dinner is for you! Flavorful chicken breasts, tender zucchini, yellow squash and grape tomatoes cook in one pan for a light, flavorful low-carb dinner that's ready in less than 30 minutes!
I'm always looking for new easy chicken recipes, and it really doesn't get much easier than this one pan chicken dinner. It's kind of a lightened up Italian chicken recipe, and it's a delicious way to use up fresh zucchini and yellow squash! My whole family loves this easy dinner!
Sheet pan dinners are some of my favorite recipes. Just throw everything on the cookie sheet, and bake! Try my sheet pan smoked sausage and potatoes or sheet pan baked ranch chicken dinner next, and check out even more easy one dish meals in the archives.
Ingredients and Substitutions
You only need a few simple ingredients for this easy recipe. They should be easy to find in your grocery store if you don't have them at home. You can find complete ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken -- thin boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken breast halves. You can sub chicken thighs if you like.
- Zucchini -- I used 2 small zucchini sliced into half moons
- Yellow squash -- I used 2 small squash sliced into smaller pieces
- Seasonings -- sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning blend
- Olive oil
- Grape tomatoes -- optional, but pairs really well with the flavors here. Red bell peppers are a great substitute.
- Parmesan cheese -- optional, but adds extra flavor. Shredded mozzarella cheese is another option to make cheesy chicken.
How to Make Baked Chicken and Zucchini on One Sheet Pan
The key to getting the chicken breasts and vegetables to cook quickly and evenly together is to slice the chicken in half lengthwise. In other words, butterfly the chicken.
Then, season it, and place it on a large rimmed baking sheet, along with olive oil.
Next, add some sliced zucchini and yellow squash. Then, throw in a few grape tomatoes, season everything, and drizzle a little more olive oil on top.
I added grape tomatoes since we have a lot of them in the garden. These burst tomatoes shrivel up slightly and make a delicious light sauce as they cook.
If you don't have any, don't worry about it -- the chicken is just as delicious without them.
Bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees f. For best results, use an instant-read thermometer.
When done, the summer vegetables should be fork tender and the chicken should be light golden brown.
What to Serve with Chicken Zucchini Bake
You can add a little shredded Parmesan cheese and a bit of butter and fresh parsley at the end for even more flavor!
This easy chicken bake is a delicious low carb recipe by itself, but jasmine rice or brown rice make a delicious side dish. You can also throw in some diced potatoes or diced sweet potatoes and crusty bread for a complete meal.
How to Store and Reheat
Refrigerate leftover chicken and vegetables in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Freeze the chicken for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
Reheat the chicken in your microwave or in the oven.
Use parchment paper or aluminum foil on the baking sheet for easy clean-up.
Use chicken pieces that are about the same size so they cook evenly. You may need to pound them lightly with a meat mallet if they are not even.
Choose small or medium zucchini for best flavor. Large zucchini tends to be bitter.
Easy Baked Chicken with Zucchini and Summer Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 zucchini sliced into half moons
- 2 yellow squash sliced into half moons
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees f
- Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in a small bowl
- Pour half of the olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet
- Season both sides of the chicken with some of the seasoning mix, and place on baking sheet
- Add zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes, and drizzle remaining olive oil over chicken and vegetables
- Add remaining seasoning mix over vegetables
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees according to a meat thermometer and vegetables are fork tender
- Top with shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired before serving
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this easy baked chicken dinner as much as my entire family does! It's perfect for busy weekdays, and you only have one pan to clean!
If you love this delicious dinner as much as we do, please leave a star rating and/or comment.
For more easy recipes, busy weeknight dinners and new recipes to try, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow on social media.
Recipe published in 2019 and updated in 2023.