This Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with crescent rolls is an easy chicken pot pie recipe with rotisserie chicken and cream of chicken soup under a crescent roll crust. Your entire family will love this easy recipe, and it's a great way to use up leftover chicken!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Craving some delicious comfort food? Wondering what to make with leftover rotisserie chicken? You're going to love this quick and easy chicken pot pie recipe with crescent rolls!
So, my daughter asked for chicken pot pie the other day. I didn't have time to make it from scratch, but I did have everything I needed to make creamy chicken pot pie with a crescent dough crust!
This creamy casserole is one of my go-to chicken recipes when I need to use up leftover chicken. It is the ultimate comfort food, and even my picky eaters love it! Tender bites of chicken in a creamy gravy under a flaky crust! Doesn't get any better than that!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this creamy chicken pot pie casserole. They should be easy to find in your grocery store if you don't have everything you need in your fridge or pantry. Full amounts are in the printable recipe card below.
- Cooked chicken -- Use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken
- Can of crescent rolls -- original crescent rolls
- Cream of chicken soup -- or cream of celery soup or mushroom soup
- Sour cream -- adds a light tangy flavor and helps thin out the soup
- Frozen vegetables -- green beans, peas or mixed vegetables work best. You can use fresh vegetables if you want.
- Seasoning - salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- Shredded cheddar cheese -- or cheddar cheese blend
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with Crescent Rolls
First, grease a casserole dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Then, add your cooked chicken to a large bowl and season it with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
If you're using seasoned leftover roast chicken, you can season to taste. It depends on the original flavors.
Add a can of cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Then, add the veggies and mix vegetables into the mixture. Spread the chicken mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.
If you want one less dish to wash, you can mix everything together in the baking dish!
Now, sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese on top of chicken mixture. I use cheddar cheese or Colby Jack or a blend of different cheeses. But you can use your favorite cheese here.
Next, carefully open the crescent dough, and unroll it so that it's a rectangle. Place the dough sheet on top of the filling, and carefully stretch it to fit. You can brush an egg wash on the dough if you like.
Sometimes, I do this, but the crust gets beautifully golden brown without it. You can crimp or fold the edges if you want.
I left the lines as is to allow venting. You can pinch center edges together if you like. You can also roll out the dough, but leave a few holes for venting.
Just stretch the dough, and place the top crust over the chicken mixture! You can cut a couple of slits in the top for vents.
The casserole takes just 20 minutes or so to bake. Total cook time will depend upon your oven.
When it's done, the crust is golden brown, and the cheesy chicken filling is hot and bubbling.
I like to let this easy chicken pot pie casserole sit for a few minutes to let the filling set. After that, you can go right ahead and dig in.
So, this easy chicken pot pie casserole recipe may not be like Mom's traditional pot pie, but it sure is a good chicken pot pie! We love the flaky crust, delicious creamy filling and tender chicken!
This easy dinner recipe is perfect for busy weeknights! And it's definitely one of our favorite comfort foods! Go Mom!
Recipe Variations and Cooking Tips
It's simple to change up this easy chicken casserole. Use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving instead of chicken. Or use a can of tuna for an easy tuna pot pie casserole! Use puff pastry instead of crescent dough.
You can use a can of biscuit dough, like Grands, instead of crescent roll dough. Just place the biscuits on top of the filling, and bake.
If you don't have leftover rotisserie chicken, cook chicken breasts or chicken thighs. Then, assemble the casserole.
Make it a Mexican chicken casserole with taco seasoning, chopped chiles or jalapeño peppers. Use Mexican blend cheese or pepper jack cheese for more spice!
Use a 13x9 inch pan or a smaller 2 quart casserole dish. If you want a creamier casserole, you can use 2 cans of cream soup.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Casserole
Cover and keep the leftover chicken pot pie in the refrigerator. Use the baking dish or transfer to an airtight container. It should keep for 3 to 4 days.
For longer storage, store in a freezer-safe container in the freezer.
Reheat the chicken pie in individual servings in the microwave. Or, bake the casserole in the oven at 300 degrees f until hot.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded or cubed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or cream of chicken
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar blend
- 1 tube crescent roll dough or crescent roll sheets
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease or spray a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish
- In a large bowl, Add chicken, and season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, vegetables, and mix together. Spread evenly in casserole dish, and top with cheese
- Unfold the crescent roll dough so that it's a large rectangle, and place over the casserole. Pinch edges together, and stretch so that it fits over the filling. Or, spread a crescent roll sheet over the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is hot and bubbling
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting to allow filling to thicken up
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
My whole family loves this easy crescent roll chicken pot pie! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
For more easy recipes be sure to sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media!
More Easy Recipes with Rotisserie Chicken
Looking for easy chicken recipes? Try my easy Instant Pot chicken noodle casserole, or this delicious fiesta chicken casserole or this amazing chicken spaghetti. You may also like chicken quesadillas or this make ahead ramen chicken salad.
Recipe originally published in 2020 and updated in 2023