Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe with crescent rolls is a delicious dinner with rotisserie chicken in creamy sauce under a crescent dough pie crust. Your entire family will love this easy recipe, and it's a great way to use up leftover chicken!
Craving some delicious comfort food? Wondering what to make with leftover rotisserie chicken? You're going to love this quick and easy chicken pot pie recipe with crescent rolls!
So, my daughter asked for chicken pot pie the other day. I didn't have time to make it from scratch, but I did have everything I needed to make creamy chicken pot pie with a crescent dough crust!
This is one of my go-to chicken recipes when I need to use up leftover chicken. for dinner! We also love Instant Pot chicken noodle casserole, chicken spaghetti, chicken quesadillas and ramen chicken salad.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this creamy chicken pot pie casserole. You probably have everything you need in your fridge or pantry:
- Cooked chicken
- Can of crescent rolls -- original crescent rolls or a sheet of crescent roll dough
- Cream of chicken soup -- or cream of celery or mushroom
- Sour cream
- Frozen vegetables -- mixed vegetables work best
- Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- Shredded cheddar cheese -- or cheese blend
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie with Crescent Rolls
First, grease a casserole dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Then, add your cooked chicken to a large bowl and season it with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
If you're using seasoned leftover roast chicken, you can season to taste. It depends on the original flavors.
Add a can of cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Then, add the veggies and mix vegetables into the mixture. Spread the chicken mixture evenly in the casserole dish.
If you want one less dish to wash, you can mix everything together in the baking dish!
Now, sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese on top of chicken mixture. I use cheddar cheese or Colby Jack or a blend of different cheeses. But you can use your favorite cheese here.
Next, carefully open the crescent dough, and unroll it so that it's a rectangle. Place the dough sheet on top of the casserole, and carefully stretch it to fit.
You can crimp or fold the edges if you want.
I left the lines as is to allow venting. You can pinch center edges together if you like. You can also roll out the dough, but leave a few holes for venting.
I happen to love the new crescent rolls sheets! They make the perfect top crust for this chicken pie.
Just stretch the dough, and place the top crust over the chicken mixture! You can cut a couple of slits in the top for vents.
The casserole takes just 20 minutes or so to bake. Total cook time will depend upon your oven.
When it's done, the crust is golden brown, and the cheesy chicken filling is hot and bubbling.
I like to let this easy chicken pot pie casserole sit for a few minutes to let the filling set. After that, you can go right ahead and dig in.
So, this casserole may not be like Mom's traditional pot pie, but it sure is a good chicken pot pie! We love the flaky crust, delicious creamy filling and tender chicken!
This easy dinner recipe is perfect for busy weeknights! And it's definitely one of our favorite comfort foods! Go Mom!
It's simple to change up this easy chicken casserole. Use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving instead of chicken. Or use a can of tuna for an easy tuna pot pie casserole! Use puff pastry instead of crescent dough.
If you don't have leftover rotisserie chicken, cook chicken breasts or chicken thighs. Then, assemble the casserole.
Make it a Mexican chicken casserole with taco seasoning, chopped chiles or jalapeño peppers. Use Mexican blend cheese or pepper jack cheese for more spice!
How to Store and Reheat
Cover and keep the leftover chicken pot pie in the refrigerator. Use the baking dish or transfer to an airtight container. It should keep for 3 to 4 days.
For longer storage, store in a freezer-safe container in the freezer.
Reheat the chicken pie in individual servings in the microwave. Or, bake the casserole in the oven until hot.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded or cubed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or cream of chicken
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar blend
- 1 tube crescent roll dough or crescent roll sheets
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease or spray a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish
- In a large bowl, Add chicken, and season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, vegetables, and mix together. Spread evenly in casserole dish, and top with cheese
- Unfold the crescent roll dough so that it's a large rectangle, and place over the casserole. Pinch edges together, and stretch so that it fits over the filling. Or, spread a crescent roll sheet over the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is hot and bubbling
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting to allow filling to thicken up
My whole family loves this easy crescent roll chicken pot pie! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
For more easy recipes and back-to-school dinner ideas, be sure to sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media!
Recipe originally published in 2020 and updated in 2021