This Easy Orange Chicken Recipe with orange marmalade and BBQ sauce is simple, delicious and tastes better than takeout. A quick dinner ready in 30 minutes!
If you’re looking for a simple and super easy chicken recipe for dinner, this one’s for you. This is the easiest recipe for orange chicken on the planet. It tastes like the kind you get from your favorite Chinese takeout, and it’s absolutely delicious!
I’ve been seeing 3 ingredient orange chicken on Pinterest for so long. I couldn’t believe that sauce made with orange marmalade and BBQ sauce would taste like the real deal.
But, my kids were missing orange chicken from their favorite takeout place, and I had to give it a try. After several tasty experiments, we found the right combo. You guys, we just love this easy recipe!
3 Ingredient Sauce
You only need a few ingredients to for this homemade orange chicken recipe. Best of all, you probably have everything you need in your pantry!
- Orange marmalade
- BBQ sauce — I used Sweet Baby Ray’s original
- Soy sauce — I use low sodium
- Chicken breasts — cut into small pieces
- Flour or cornstarch
- Vegetable oil
Note: If you want to make this recipe even easier, you can skip the egg/flour/cornstarch step. My kids prefer the texture of the chicken coated with flour, so that’s what I do.
They love my Instant Pot Orange Chicken, but they like the texture of this recipe better.It’s really not hard, and it doesn’t take much longer this way. But, it is a lot messier! Just saying.
How to Make Easy Orange Chicken
First, have all of your ingredients out and ready to go. It makes the process go much faster.
Dip the cubed chicken into the beaten egg. Then, shake off the excess egg, and lightly coat the chicken in the flour.
I use a wok, so I like to cook the chicken in batches so that they brown evenly. If you’re using a large skillet, you can probably cook it all in one batch.
Make the orange sauce while the chicken is cooking, or beforehand. All you do is mix the marmalade, BBQ sauce and soy sauce until well blended.
Super easy! Sometimes, I’ll throw in some garlic powder or red chili flakes for extra flavor. But, you really don’t need anything more.
When the chicken is browned, add the sauce to the skillet. If you’re cooking the chicken in batches, add all of it back to the pan.
Let the chicken simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is nice and thick. Stir the sauce to make sure it doesn’t get too thick.
If it does, you can add a little orange juice, chicken broth or water to thin it out. And that’s it!
Easy Side Dishes
Throw in a side dish of air fryer broccoli, microwave broccoli or mixed veggies, and dinner is served.
How to Store the Chicken
Store the leftover orange chicken in a tightly covered container in the fridge. It should keep for up to 4 days if there’s any left!
For longer storage, freeze the leftovers for later. It heats up easily in the microwave or on the stove.
Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil use more if needed
For the Sauce
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup BBQ sauce we use Sweet Baby Rays original
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
For the Sauce
- Mix the orange marmalade, BBQ sauce and soy sauce in a small mixing bowl
For the Chicken
- Dip the chicken in the beaten eggs, shaking off excess egg, then lightly coat with flour
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil, and cook the chicken over medium high heat until lightly brown and slightly crisp. If cooking in batches, remove each batch to a plate, cover and keep warm
- Add the sauce to the pan, stir in the chicken, and heat over medium heat until thick and bubbling — about 10 minutes. Serve immediately
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!