This delicious Instant Pot Orange Chicken is a quick and easy dinner you can make in the pressure cooker in about 30 minutes. Better than takeout!
Who needs takeout when you can easily whip up this Instant Pot orange chicken at home?! If you're looking for easy Instant Pot recipes with chicken, you're going to love this sweet and spicy orange chicken recipe!
I've been working on a homemade version of orange chicken ever since we moved away from our favorite Chinese restaurant. I wanted an easy recipe that didn't call for ingredients that we wouldn't normally use. I hate having lots of open bottles taking up valuable fridge space!
So, I make my orange chicken recipe with orange marmalade, orange juice, zest and a little bit of my favorite sweet chili sauce. You can find these items and the rest of the ingredients practically anywhere, and you probably have most of them at home!
Friends, this homemade Instant Pot orange chicken is definitely a keeper. I've made it several times in the last couple of weeks, and my family practically inhaled it! It's one of our favorite Instant Instant Pot recipes!
How to Make Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken with Orange Marmalade
First, cut up the chicken in one-inch cubes. You don't want to make them too small, since they shrink when pressure cooking. Season and cook the chicken on the saute setting until just no longer pink.
Next, turn the pot off, and add the soy sauce, orange juice and zest. Then, spoon the orange marmalade and sweet chili sauce on top.
Do not stir everything together! You don't want the thick marmalade to stick to the pot and burn. Now, the chicken is ready for pressure cooking! Since the chicken releases plenty of water as it cooks, you don't need a ton of liquid here.
You can make a cornstarch slurry while the chicken is cooking. This will help thicken the sauce so that it coats the chicken.
After pressure cooking the chicken, use the Saute setting to bring the sauce to a simmer. Then, stir in the cornstarch slurry. Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken up, and you're done!
Is this Instant Pot Orange Chicken Healthy?
This pressure cooker orange chicken is on the healthy side since it's not fried. You can also use an all natural orange marmalade to cut the sweetness.
Is there a Substitute for Sweet Chili Sauce?
I use Thai sweet chili sauce here, and there really isn't a substitute for it. You can use regular chili sauce -- think Heinz -- but the flavor isn't quite the same.
Is There Enough Liquid in This Pressure Cooker Chicken Recipe?
Yes! The chicken releases water as it cooks, so you only need ¼ to ½ cup of orange juice, plus the liquid from the sauces to make it work!
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes with chicken
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Tortellini
Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken Recipe
Contains affiliate links. Please see disclosure for more information.
Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.8 pounds chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ to ½ cup orange juice from 1 large orange
- orange zest
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce low sodium
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- ¼ cup Thai sweet chili sauce (affiliate link)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the olive oil and chicken
- Stir in the garlic powder, ginger, sea salt and pepper. Cook chicken until no longer pink, stirring frequently
- Hit CANCEL, to turn pot off. Add the orange juice, zest and soy sauce
- Add the orange marmalade and sweet chili sauce, but do NOT stir
- Place lid on pressure cooker, turn valve to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOk for 4 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then cook for 4 minutes. When pot beeps, do a quick release by turning valve to venting
- Make cornstarch slurry by adding cornstarch to water and stirring quickly until well blended
- When pin drops, open lid, and stir. Hit CANCEL, then hit SAUTE and wait for liquid to start bubbling.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry, and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes or until liquid thickens
- Hit CANCEL to turn pot off, and serve over rice. Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot orange chicken dinner as much as we do!