This Ham Pickle Roll Ups recipe is an easy appetizer made with deli ham slices spread with cream cheese, rolled around a pickle and sliced into rounds. These delicious ham rollups are sometimes known as Polish sushi!
This easy ham pickle roll up recipe goes way back. Everyone made these bite-sized appetizers for parties and family get-togethers back in the day.
Tasty pickle roll ups were one of everyone's favorite appetizers. In fact, we used to call them Polish sushi! Sometime's they are called Minnesota sushi, but it's not just a Midwest thing!
Not only are ham roll ups the perfect party appetizer, but they also make delicious after-school snacks. My kids love them!
We like to serve these delicious pickle roll ups with baked ham and cheese roll ups and tortilla pinwheels during the holiday season. If you love pickles, add dill pickle dip to your appetizer spread. But, these bite-sized snacks are perfect all year round!
You can find the simple ingredients for this 3 ingredient appetizer in just about any grocery store. Full amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Deli ham -- get thin slices of ham from the meat counter or prepackaged ham. Don't get chipped ham or shaved ham as those won't roll up.
- Cream cheese -- Use room temperature cream cheese, either full fat cream cheese or reduced-fat cream cheese for easier spreading. Whipped cream cheese doesn't work as well, but cream cheese spread is also fine.
- Dill pickles -- I like whole pickles, especially whole dill pickles, but dill pickle spears will work. You can use your favorite pickle flavor, even sweet pickles or bread and butter pickles will work.
How to Make Ham Pickle Roll-Ups
First, place a slice of ham on a plate or cutting board. I like to pat the ham dry with a clean paper towel to remove excess moisture.
Then, use a butter knife to spread a layer of cream cheese evenly over the piece of ham.
Next, dry the pickle off with another paper towel. This helps prevent the roll ups from becoming too wet and soggy.
Then, place the pickle on the short end of the ham slice. Roll the ham tightly over the pickle until it is wrapped around the pickle.
You will probably have a little extra ham around the ends. Just slice those with a sharp knife and treat yourself to a snack!
Then, use a sharp knife to slice the roll up into smaller rounds. Aim for slices around ½-inch thick.
How to Store Ham and Pickle Roll Ups
Store these tasty pickle roll ups in an airtight container or on a platter or serving tray covered with plastic wrap. They keep for about 2 days before they start to get soggy.
I don't recommend freezing these appetizers.
I usually don't add seasoning to the pickle wraps because the pickles and ham are already well seasoned. But, you can add a teaspoon or 2 of ranch seasoning to make ham pickle rollups with ranch dressing.
To bring out the dill pickle flavor, add dried dill or fresh dill to the cream cheese. Pickle lovers love this addition!You can also spread a little mustard or horseradish or sriracha sauce over the cream cheese for stronger flavors.
Make pickle roll ups with roast beef, corned beef, pastrami. dried beef (Buddig beef) or turkey. You can even make ham roll ups without the pickle, although it's really not the same thing.
Look for thinly sliced deli ham or lunchmeat. It's the easiest kind of ham to work with. Do not use thick slices of ham or super thin chipped ham or shaved ham.
Be sure to dry the sliced ham and pickles. Pat the ham dry with a clean paper towel before spreading on the cream cheese. Then, pat the pickles dry with a clean paper towel before placing on the rollup.
Ham Pickle Roll Ups
- 10 slices deli ham thinly sliced
- 10 pickles
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- Lay sliced ham on flat surface, and pat dry
- Spread a layer of cream cheese evenly over the ham
- Pat pickle dry, and place on short end of ham slice. Roll the ham tightly over the pickle until ham completely covers pickle
- Use a sharp knife to cut into rounds about ½-inch thick. Discard ends of ham
- Store in airtight container or platter covered with plastic wrap
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe as much as we do. Cream cheese roll ups are the perfect make ahead appetizer or snack!
Please add a star rating and comment to tell us how you liked the pickle appetizers.
Don't forget to sign up for the weekly newsletter to get recipes delivered each week!
Recipe updated in 2023.