Make Instant Pot Beef Taco Meat with fresh or frozen ground beef and homemade seasoning with this easy recipe. Perfect for tacos and burritos.
Ground beef taco meat is one of the easiest Instant Pot recipes you can make. Actually, it's an easy dinner recipe -- period! Tacos are my go-to easy dinner recipe for busy days or days when I am completely exhausted and too lazy to put much effort into dinner.
And if you forgot to set out beef to defrost, no problem! You can cook frozen ground beef in your Instant Pot -- it's super easy!
How to Cook Ground Beef For Taco Meat in the Instant Pot
Like I said, this recipe is super simple. And yes, you can do this on the stove --I've made it this way a gazillion times. But honestly, I like cooking ground beef in the pressure cooker better. The meat is softer, the flavor is deeper, and you can sit back and let the pot cook.
First, you brown the ground beef and add the spices. I use my recipe for homemade taco seasoning, but you can use a packet if that's what you have.
Sometimes, I add black beans. Sometimes, I leave them out. It depends on whether we want to have beef and bean burritos, enchilada casserole or baked tacos.
Next, add some beef broth, black beans, if you want, and pressure cook it for 5 minutes. You can sauté the meat after pressure cooking if you want to reduce the liquid.
If you're busy, you can even do a manual release and let the meat keep warm until you're ready to serve. That's the beauty of pressure cooking!
How to Cook Frozen Ground Beef
For best results, use 1 or 1.5 pounds of frozen ground beef or 2 flat 1 pound-bricks of meat, side by side. Just place the beef in the Instant Pot without the trivet, add beef broth or water, and pressure cook the frozen meat for 10 minutes.
The meat won't be fully cooked inside, but you easily break it up now. Then, sauté the beef, add taco seasoning and more broth, and it will finish cooking as you sauté it.
If you have more than 2 pounds of frozen beef, it will take longer to cook. If you're buying meat in bulk, try freezing it as flat as possible in 1 to 1.5 size pieces.
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Originally published in 2018 and updated in 2020.
Instant Pot Beef Taco Meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
- taco seasoning 3 tablespoons homemade or 1 packet
- ¾ cup organic low sodium beef broth
- 15 ounce can black beans optional
- Press SAUTE button on Instant Pot, and when it reads hot, add the olive oil and ground beef
- Break beef up with wooden spoon or spatula, and cook until no longer pink. Drain fat, if necessary. Add taco seasoning, and stir.
- Hit Cancel, and pour in beef broth. Add black beans over beef. (if using) Place lid on pressure cooker, turn vent to Sealing, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 5 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then begin counting down and cook for 5 minutes. When pot beeps, turn vent for a quick release or do manual release to keep warm until serving
- When pin drops, remove lid, stir meat mixture, and serve. To reduce liquid, hit SAUTE, and cook for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced