Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup is unstuffed cabbage rolls made with ground beef, pork and cabbage in a tomato sauce broth. An easy pressure cooker recipe!
So many of the Instant Pot recipes I’m making right now are soups and stews — like this Instant Pot cabbage roll soup. It’s definitely cold weather comfort food, and so much easier than traditional stuffed cabbage rolls. If you like cabbage rolls, you’ll love this easy unstuffed cabbage roll soup!
Growing up, my mom and grandma made traditional Russian/Ukrainian cabbage rolls — halupki. We even had them for Christmas dinner. If your’re Polish, you may call them golumpki.
But no matter what you call them, they’re delicious — and definitely time consuming. But this Instant Pot unstuffed cabbage roll soup lets you enjoy the same taste of authentic cabbage rolls without all the work!
What are the ingredients for cabbage rolls?
If you’ve never had a cabbage roll, it’s simply a mix of ground beef, pork sausage and rice all rolled up in cabbage leaves and cooked in tomato sauce. It’s really simple peasant food, but that’s the absolute best food — in my humble opinion!
I should note that just about every village in Eastern Europe has their own version, so when you combine that with different family recipes, no two recipes for cabbage rolls or cabbage roll soup will be alike!
How do you make cabbage roll soup in the Instant Pot pressure cooker?
Unstuffed cabbage roll soup is so easy to make in the Instant Pot. First, you brown the ground beef and sausage with some chopped onions. And then, you season the mix with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Next, you add beef broth, rice, chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes and tomato soup. Yes, soup. It’s what my grandma used, and cabbage rolls don’t taste the same without it!
I used jasmine rice in this recipe because it’s what I usually make. You can use your favorite uncooked white rice here.
Pressure cook it, and you have amazing, delicious cabbage roll soup that tastes a lot like grandma used to make! I won’t say exactly, because like I said, everyone’s grandma had a different recipe!
This is a very thick soup — almost like a stew, but my family likes it this way. You can add more liquid if you like thinner soup, either before or after pressure cooking.
We like to eat cabbage rolls with mashed potatoes, so I like to serve Instant Pot cabbage roll soup over Instant Pot mashed potatoes. Not necessary, but oh, so good!
More easy Instant Pot soup recipes
Recipe for Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 32-ounce carton low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 10 3/4 ounce can tomato soup
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the olive oil, onion, ground beef and sausage. Stir and break up meat with spatula or wooden spoon, stir in sea salt, pepper and garlic powder, and cook until no longer pink
- Hit CANCEL, then add rice, beef broth and chopped cabbage. Pour diced tomatoes and tomato soup on top, but do NOT stir.
- Place lid on pressure cooker, turn vent knob to Sealing position and hit PRESSURE COOK for 5 minutes
- Pot will take several minutes to reach pressure, then begin counting down and cook. Allow a 10 minute natural release, then turn vent knob to venting for to quick release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, open lid, stir well, and serve immediately
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot cabbage roll soup recipe as much as we do!