Instant Pot Kielbasa Cabbage Soup with potatoes and carrots is an easy pressure cooker soup recipe loaded with vegetables and smoked sausage.
I made this easy cabbage and sausage soup recipe in my Instant Pot when we had cold spell last week, and it really hit the spot! It's simple, hearty comfort food and so. dang. good!
This easy soup is close to my grandma's homemade Polish cabbage soup, but it's even easier. And, since it's an Instant Pot recipe, it cooks a lot faster!
What's in Cabbage Soup
There are so many variations of cabbage soup recipes, but this one is like a vegetable soup with smoked sausage added. I used:
- Kielbasa (Polish Sausage)
- Diced tomatoes
I also used chicken broth and spices. You could use beef broth or even vegetable broth if you want.
How to Make Cabbage, Sausage and Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
First, brown the chopped onions, garlic and kielbasa for a couple of minutes. This adds extra flavor, but you can skip this step if you're in a hurry.
Deglaze the pot with a little broth if you have browned bits sticking to the bottom. Then, turn the pot off.
Add your chopped potatoes, carrots, celery and cabbage to the pot. Then, add the diced tomatoes, cabbage and spices.
The pot will be full, but that's fine. The liquid isn't close enough to the fill line.
And don't worry if it looks like there isn't enough liquid. The cabbage adds more liquid as it cooks down -- Just wait until you open the pot!
This kielbasa cabbage soup cooks in just 4 minutes! You can cook it for 5 for softer veggies.
I let it slow release for 5 minutes, but you can quick release for even firmer veggies if you want.
My family loved the flavors in this hearty cabbage soup with sausage and potatoes! It'll definitely fill you up, but it's not heavy -- just right!
The leftover are even better. I ate this cabbage kielbasa soup for lunch almost all of last week -- so good!
More Hearty Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Cheesy Potato Soup with Kielbasa
- Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Lasagna Soup
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Instant Pot Kielbasa Cabbage Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Kielbasa Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion or 1 small onion
- 3 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 rope kielbasa sliced, then sliced into half circles
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes cut into thick chunks
- 1 cup carrots sliced thick, about 2 large
- 2 celery stalks sliced thick
- 1 small cabbage cored and cut
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Hit SAUTE on the pressure cooker, and when it reads Hot, add the olive oil, chopped onions, garlic and kielbasa, and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is lightly browned and onions are slightly soft
- Hit CANCEL, deglaze pot with some of the broth, if necessary, and add the remaining ingredients to the pot. Pot will be full, but liquids should be below the fill line, so it's okay.
- Place lid on pressure cooker, make sure vent is at Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure (time will vary with different models) then begin counting down and start cooking
- When pot beeps, allow a 5 minute natural release, then quick release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, carefully remove lid, stir soup well, and serve