Instant Pot Cheesy Potato Soup with Kielbasa is rich, creamy and loaded with flavor. This easy pressure cooker soup recipe will warm you right up!
If you're looking for a quick and easy Instant Pot soup recipe that's hearty, delicious and comforting, you're going to love this creamy cheesy potato soup! It's loaded with potatoes, smoked sausage, cheddar cheese, and it's topped with bacon for extra flavor. You'll want to add this soup to your list of Instant Pot recipes to try!
It's been cold and windy lately, so I've made this cheesy Instant Pot potato soup with sausage 3 times in the last week. My family absolutely loves it, and my kiddos say it's one of the best Instant Pot soup recipes ever! Go me!
I used kielbasa in this soup because we had leftovers from Christmas, and I love kielbasa recipes! But you can use your favorite smoked sausage or even ham in this potato soup!
This loaded potato soup is actually very simple, and you only need a few ingredients to make it. And because the kielbasa is already cooked, this soup takes only about 30 minutes tops -- including time to pressurize and release!
How do you make potato soup in the pressure cooker?
Start out by cooking some diced onions in a little butter on the saute setting of your Instant Pot. Then, throw in some cut kielbasa slices, and cook until just lightly browned. You could skip this step if you want to make this a dump and start recipe!
Next, add chicken broth, seasoning and your chopped potatoes. I found a mix of cubed potatoes and slightly larger ones worked best for the texture I wanted. This way, you get a thicker soup and some texture -- know what I mean?
What is the best potato for potato soup?
I personally like Yukon Gold potatoes. You don't need to peel them, they don't take long to cook, and they have a rich, buttery taste!
How long do you cook potato soup in the Instant Pot?
This soup takes just 4 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. Of course, total time is longer, but the actual cooking time is only 4 minutes!
After the soup is done, stir in some cream and shredded cheddar cheese. You can mash the potatoes lightly with a masher or a spoon if you want the soup to be thicker, but we liked this cheesy potato soup just like this! And a little extra cheese and bacon on top makes this Instant Pot potato soup even better!
Looking for more easy instant pot soup recipes?
Instant Pot Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Cheesy Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup diced onion (half of a medium onion)
- 1 pound kielbasa smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 32-ounce low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the butter and onions, and cook until slightly soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the kielbasa, and cook until lightly browned. Hit Cancel, and stir in chicken broth, and use wooden spoon or spatula to deglaze pot, if necessary
- Add potatoes, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper. Place lid on Instant Pot, turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes
- Pot will take several minutes to reach pressure, then start counting down and cook for 4 minutes. When pot beeps, do a gradual quick release to prevent liquid from spraying out of pot
- When pin drops, remove lid, and stir in cream. Gradually add cheese, and stir well until cheese is melted
- Serve immediately, and top with crumbled cooked bacon and extra cheese, if desired
I hope you enjoy this cheesy Instant Pot potato soup as much as we do!