Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is an easy lazy lasagna recipe made with Italian sausage, ground beef, pasta and cheese in a delicious creamy tomato broth. It's comfort food in a bowl!
When I first made this easy lasagna soup recipe for my family, my kids told me it was the best soup recipe ever! And if my picky eaters love it, you'll definitely want to add this easy lasagna soup to your list of easy Instant Pot recipes to try!
Lasagna soup is really like a deconstructed lasagna or lazy lasagna served in a bowl. It's rich, meaty, cheesy and oh, so delicious! It's also much, much faster than making traditional lasagna.
I could seriously go on and on about how incredible this pressure cooker lasagna soup is. It's kind of a cross between our favorite Instant Pot creamy shells and beef and Instant Pot creamy sausage and shells, which are two of my family's favorite easy dinner recipes.
How to Make Lasagna Soup in the Instant Pot?
I make the soup pretty much like I make regular lasagna. Start out by browning a mix of Italian sausage and lean ground beef. Then, add some spices and diced onions.
I usually don't need to drain any grease, but you can do this if you want -- before you add the spices.
Next, add a carton of low sodium beef broth or chicken broth, marinara sauce and some broken up lasagna noodles. Don't stir it -- just add everything on top.
You can also make this with bowtie pasta or any short, flat pasta if you don't want to break up the larger pasta sheets.
I saw some mini lasagna-shaped pasta in our local Cost Plus the other day that would be perfect for this recipe. Next time, I'm trying that!
How Long to Pressure Cook the Soup
For lasagna soup, the meat is already cooked. So, you just have to heat it up and cook the pasta.
Pressure cook the lasagna soup for just 5 minutes, and let it release naturally for 5 minutes. Then, release the remaining pressure, and give it a good stir.
I like to add a little bit of heavy cream to the soup. This gives it a creamier texture that my family loves. You can omit the cream if you want.
What to Serve with It
Finally, top the soup with a mix of ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella. This will give the soup that classic lasagna taste. The cheese melts right into the soup, and it's just pure comfort food heaven!
I serve the soup with crusty bread or garlic bread. A fresh green salad goes well with it, too.
Freeze For Later
Refrigerate leftover soup for about 4 days in a covered container. You can also freeze lasagna soup for later.
This soup also freezes and reheats well. Just keep it covered in a freezer safe container. Freezing smaller portions works best!
So, if you want the awesomeness of lasagna without all of the work, make this Instant Pot lasagna soup, instead. It's a quick and easy Instant Pot dinner that even picky eaters love!
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 32 ounces carton low sodium beef broth
- 28 ounces marinara sauce Rao's
- 6 lasagna noodles broken up
- ¼ cup heavy cream optional
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the olive oil and onions, and sauté until onions are soft
- Add ground beef and sausage, breaking up with a spatula, sea salt, garlic and pepper, and cook until no longer pink stirring continuously
- Hit CANCEL, then add beef broth, and deglaze with spatula to remove any browned bits, if necessary.
- Pour in marinara sauce, but do NOT stir. Then, place broken lasagna noodles on top
- Place lid on pressure cooker, turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 5 minutes
- Pot will take several minutes to reach pressure, then start counting down and cook for 5 minutes. After pot beeps, allow a 5 minute natural release, then turn knob to venting to quick release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, remove lid, and stir. Then, gradually stir in heavy cream and mix until well combined
- Serve topped with ricotta mixture and extra cheese, if desired
- While soup is cooking, mix the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese in a small bowl. You can double the amounts if necessary
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
More easy Instant Pot soup recipes
- Easy Instant Pot chicken noodle soup
- Instant Pot cabbage roll soup
- Instant Pot hamburger soup
- Easy Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Recipe originally published in 2018 and last updated in 2021.