Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with peas is a quick and easy one pot meal made in the pressure cooker in 30 minutes. Simple, delicious comfort food!
Easy chicken and rice is classic comfort food made even easier in the pressure cooker. It’s a quick dinner with few ingredients that’s perfect for busy days. Just brown the chicken, add the remaining ingredients, and cook!
Chicken and Rice without Canned Soup
What’s different about this chicken and rice recipe is that it doesn’t have any cream soup or a lot of dairy products. Nothing against dairy products — We’re definitely a family of cheese lovers!
But, I made this instead of chicken soup ( since it’s still hot out ) when one of my kiddos wasn’t feeling well. It’s healthy comfort food, and my whole family loved it!
How to Make Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I used boneless skinless chicken breasts in this one pot chicken and rice recipe, but you could easily use chicken thighs. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, add seasonings, and cook on the Saute mode until no longer pink.
You don’t have to worry about cooking it all the way through here since it will finish cooking under pressure. Be sure to deglaze the pot so that there are no bits of chicken stuck on the bottom.
Add the rice over the chicken, and pour in your chicken broth. Press the rice down so that it’s covered with broth, but don’t stir everything together.
Pressure cook the chicken and rice for just 4 minutes with a 10 minute release — just as you would if you were only making rice. Easy peasy!
Stir in some frozen peas or mixed veggies. You can also use thawed veggies, but the heat from the Instant Pot is enough to cook them right from frozen.
The first time I made chicken and rice in the Instant Pot, I kept it super plain, but the next couple of times I added some butter and shredded cheese to make it creamier.
You could even add some heavy cream or more broth to make it even creamier. This is a super versatile recipe, and it’s so easy to customize it!
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut up
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning mix
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup Jasmine rice rinsed well
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or cheese blend
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot pressure cooker, and when it reads HOT, add olive oil and chicken
- Stir in minced onions, salt, garlic powder, pepper and herbes de Provence, and cook until chicken is no longer pink
- Deglaze pot to make sure no chicken is stuck to bottom. There should be plenty of juice from the chicken, but you can add some of the broth if necessary.
- Hit CANCEL to turn pot off, then pour rice over the chicken
- Pour chicken broth over rice, and press down to make sure it's covered with broth. Do not stir together
- Place lid on pressure cooker, make sure vent is set to Sealing, and press PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes
- Allow a 10 minute release, then turn vent to quick release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, remove lid, and stir in peas. Stir in cheese until well blended, and serve