Instant Pot Kielbasa and Rice with peas is a quick and easy dinner with few ingredients that you can make in the pressure cooker in 30 minutes. A simple one pot meal!
This delicious budget friendly dinner combines savory smoked sausage with fragrant jasmine rice and peas for a quick meal that pleases even the picky eaters. If you're looking for easy Instant Pot recipes, you're going to love this one!
You've heard of chicken and rice, right? Well, this sausage and rice is the basically the same idea. In fact, it's even easier since the sausage is already cooked.
I have a lot of kielbasa recipes on the blog, but this is the first time I've paired smoked sausage with rice. It definitely works, though, and it's super simple to make.
How to Make Smoked Sausage and Rice in the Pressure Cooker
You only need a few ingredients for this easy kielbasa recipe -- no cream soups, either! You can easily dump everything into the pot and cook it, but I like to brown the sausage and onions to get more flavor.
Next, add a little broth to deglaze the pot if you have any browned bits on the bottom. Then, add your jasmine rice over the sausage.
I used a simple blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika to season the sausage and rice. You can sprinkle it on the meat or rice, or adda little bit to both.
Then, pour in some chicken broth, and press the rice down lightly so that it's all under the broth. Don't stir it all together -- just make sure it's covered with liquid.
How Long to Pressure Cook Sausage and Rice
I used the same cook time as my Instant Pot jasmine rice recipe, since you're basically just adding sausage in with the rice. So pressure cook it for only 4 minutes and allow a 10 minute release.
When it's done, throw in some frozen peas. The heat from the IP is enough to cook them, although you can thaw them first if you want.
The rice is perfectly cooked and just sticky enough to hold everything together. You can also add some shredded cheese to make it a little creamier. My kids love the cheesy rice!
You guys, this kielbasa and rice is such an easy dinner, and it's even easier in the Instant Pot. It's definitely comfort food, and even my picky eaters gobbled this right up!
More Instant Pot Kielbasa Recipes
- Instant Pot Pierogi Casserole
- IP Cabbage and Noodles
- Pressure Cooker Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Creamy Kielbasa Tortellini
Instant Pot Kielbasa and Rice Recipe
Instant Pot Kielbasa and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 rope kielbasa sliced
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice rinsed well
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup peas
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the olive oil, kielbasa and chopped onion
- Cook until onions are slightly soft, and add some broth to deglaze pot if necessary
- Hit Cancel to turn pot off, then add rice over sausage, and add sea salt, garlic powder, pepper and smoked paprika
- Pour broth over rice, and push down to make sure rice is covered with broth. Do not stir everything together.
- Place lid on pot, make sure vent is on Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes. Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then cook
- When pot beeps, allow a 10 minute natural release, then quick release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, remove lid, and stir in peas. Stir in shredded cheese, if desired, and serve