Instant Pot Chili Mac is an easy cheesy dinner made with ground beef, chili beans, pasta and plenty of cheese. A quick one pot meal for the pressure cooker!
Chili mac and cheese is super easy to make in the Instant Pot. I just combined our favorite chili recipe with macaroni pasta and shredded Colby Jack cheese for a delicious dinner that was like homemade Hamburger Helper — way better than the boxed stuff!
If you’re looking for easy Instant Pot recipes, this chili mac and cheese is for you! Not only is it super easy to make, but it also makes a LOT of good comfort food. Hello, leftovers!
You can turn the leftovers into a casserole, freeze them or share some with a neighbor. Chili mac is also ideal for a potluck!
How to Make Chili Mac in the Instant Pot
First, saute your ground beef, add the spices, and cook until no longer pink. I use lean ground beef, so I don’t have to worry about draining the grease. You can if you want, but be sure to season the meat after you drain it.
Next, add your chopped onions and peppers. I don’t like to saute these first, because I don’t want them too soft.
Then, turn the pot off, and check to make sure no food is stuck to the bottom. There shouldn’t be, but you can add a little bit of the beef broth (or water) and deglaze if necessary.
Now, add the macaroni, beef broth and remaining ingredients. Don’t stir it — You don’t want the burn notice!
After pressure cooking for just 4 minutes, give the chili mac a good stir. Then, add your shredded cheese, 1 cup at a time.
What Cheese is Best with Chili
I use Colby Jack cheese for chili mac because it makes it extra creamy — more like mac and cheese. You can add some cheddar for extra flavor or use pepper jack for extra spice.
More Ground Beef Pasta Recipes for the Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Creamy Shells and Beef
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- Instant Pot Macaroni Beef Casserole
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
Instant Pot Chili Mac Recipe
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Instant Pot Chili Mac
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 large bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 cups macaroni noodles uncooked
- 3 cups beef broth or water
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 16-ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2.5 cups Colby Jack cheese shredded
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add your olive oil and ground beef, and start to crumble it up with a spatula
- Add the sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder, and cook until beef is no longer pink
- Stir in the onion and pepper, make sure there are no brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot ( deglaze with a little beef broth if there is) then hit CANCEL to turn pot off
- Pour macaroni over meat mixture, then add beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans over macaroni. Do not stir
- Place lid on pot, make sure vent is at sealing position, then hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then start cooking. When pot beeps, do a gradual quick release. When pin drops, remove lid, stir ingredients together, then stir in cheese, 1 cup at a time
- Chili mac will start to thicken as it cools down
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!