Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are made with shredded salsa verde chicken, cheese and cream cheese. An easy chicken enchilada recipe everyone loves!
This easy chicken enchilada recipe starts out with one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes -- salsa verde chicken. I use the shredded chicken for tacos, burrito bowls, salads and -- enchiladas!
I used to make enchiladas with rotisserie chicken or baked chicken, but making the shredded chicken in the Instant Pot is easier and tastier. The chicken gets infused with wonderful flavors from spices and salsa verde. And as a bonus, it doesn't dry out!
These creamy chicken enchiladas with cream cheese are similar to white chicken enchiladas, except they're not cooked in a cream sauce. So, they're a little lighter and tangier but not as spicy as traditional enchiladas in red sauce.
My family actually prefers these salsa verde chicken enchiladas. In fact, it's now one of our favorite Instant Pot dinner recipes!
How do you make easy chicken enchiladas?
This chicken enchilada recipe makes enough for 12 enchiladas, which might be a lot for some of you. But, leftover enchiladas are awesome - I may or may not had one for breakfast! You can also use the extra chicken for something else, or you can make 6 completely stuffed enchiladas!
First, you cook the chicken with salsa verde in your Instant Pot. Next, you remove the chicken and shred it -- Keep the pieces on the big side, though. And, then you mix in some cream cheese.
Then, you spread some of the cooking liquid on a tortilla, place some chicken in the middle, and top it with Monterey Jack cheese.
Roll the tortilla up, place it seam-side-down in a baking dish with some of the cooking liquid on the bottom, and repeat the process. If you're making 12 enchiladas at once, you'll have to divide the cooking liquid between two baking pans.
Pour the remaining cooking liquid over the enchiladas, top with more shredded cheese, and bake!
I like to add some cheddar or Mexican blend shredded cheese over the top before the enchiladas are done baking. It's optional, but it gives the dish a little more color, and you can't go wrong with more cheese! Actually, you can use as much cheese as you want in this recipe -- no judging, here!
Let the enchiladas rest for about 5 minutes before serving. Then, use your favorite toppings to liven things up! Serve them with sour cream, salsa verde, diced tomatoes, avocados, radishes -- no rules here!
Do you use flour or corn tortillas for enchiladas?
Corn tortillas are probably more popular, and some may say more authentic. However, I grew up with Sonoran-style food here in Phoenix, and flour tortillas are commonly used for enchiladas. My family also prefers flour tortillas, but you can use whichever kind of tortilla you like best.
More easy Instant Pot chicken recipes
Easy Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
for the chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- .5 teaspoon smoked paprika
- .5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 16 ounce jar salsa verde ( I use Herdez)
for the enchiladas
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 12 medium flour tortillas
- 6 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- extra salsa verde (optional)
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot, and add the chicken
- Season the chicken with the sea salt, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper
- Pour the salsa verde over chicken, and mix slightly to make sure chicken is evenly covered
- Place lid on Instant Pot, set sealing valve to SEALING position, and hit PRESSURE COOK, or manual, for 10 minutes. (Pot will say ON as it comes to pressure, then begin counting down at 10 minutes)
- After 10 minutes of cooking, do a natural release for 10 minutes, then hit CANCEL and do a quick release until pin drops
- Open pot, and remove chicken to a large bowl. Pour the cooking liquid into another bowl. Use a hand mixer to shred the chicken slightly. You want the chicken cut into small chunks instead of finely shredded. Or shred with 2 forks.
- Mix the cream cheese into the chicken
for the enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place a tortilla on a plate, and brush or spread about 2 teaspoons cooking liquid onto tortilla
- Place about ⅓ to ½ cup of cooking liquid into a greased baking dish (casserole pan)
- Place about ¼ cup of chicken in a line in center of tortilla, and top with some shredded monterey jack cheese
- Roll one end of tortilla over the filling, and form enchilada. Place enchilada, seam side down, into baking dish. Repeat process until all tortillas are made, and pans are full
- Spread about 2 cups of cooking liquid over enchiladas, and sprinkle 1 cup of monterey jack cheese over enchiladas
- Bake for 20 minutes or until enchiladas are heated through and bubbly, then add Mexican blend cheese or more monterey jack cheese, if desired, and bake until cheese is melted
- Remove from oven, and let stand for about 5 minutes before serving -- This makes it easier to remove from the dish
I hope you enjoy these easy Instant Pot creamy chicken enchiladas as much as we do!