Instant Pot Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken is a quick and easy dinner made with seasoned chicken breasts cooked in a delicious creamy lemon garlic sauce.
If you're looking for lighter Instant Pot recipes, you're going to go crazy for this easy Instant Pot creamy lemon garlic chicken recipe! It's basically boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked with plenty of garlic and topped with a to-die-for creamy lemon garlic sauce.
I have a ton of Instant Pot chicken recipes on the blog, but I'm trying to make lighter recipes for spring and summer. This easy chicken recipe is just a kicked-up version of my basic Instant Pot Instant Pot chicken breasts. You just saute the chicken, season it and pressure cook it!
The only difference is the sauce. Yes, friends. The secret is the SAUCE!
This creamy lemon garlic chicken recipe is easy enough for every day, but it's also delicious and perfect for special occasions. My daughter loves this Instant Pot chicken so much that she requested it for her birthday dinner!
How to Make Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken in the Instant Pot
While most of my pressure cooker chicken recipes are the dump and start kind, there are a few extra steps in this one. Although you can technically add the chicken to the pot and cook it, I highly recommend using the Saute setting to brown the chicken breasts first.
Saute the Chicken Breasts
Season the chicken with a little bit of sea salt and pepper, and brown it on both sides for about 2 minutes per side. This step helps lock in the juices and helps the chicken keep its shape during pressure cooking.
You may have to brown the chicken in batches so that it fits and browns evenly. You can also brown the chicken in a pan on your stove, but why dirty another pot -- know what I mean?!
Deglaze the Pot
After the chicken is browned --not fully cooked, remove it to a plate, and cover with foil to keep warm. Then, pour in your cooking liquid to deglaze the pot and remove those yummy browned bits from the bottom.
Deglazing also helps prevent the burn notice due to food being stuck to the bottom of the pot. You don't want that!
Throw in the chopped garlic, then add the chicken back to the pot, and add the rest of the seasonings and lemon juice.
How Long to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
Since the chicken is partially cooked, you only need to pressure cook the chicken for 6 minutes. If you decide to skip browning the chicken, you'll need to cook it for 10 minutes. In both cases, allow a 10 minute natural pressure release or full release, which usually takes the same time.
Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe Variations
You can use water, chicken stock or white wine for the cooking liquid. Add a little heavy cream at the end for a creamy sauce or skip the sauce to make a simple healthy chicken recipe.
You can also use only garlic powder to cut down on prep work. And, you can substitute Italian seasoning in place of herbes de Provence, although this seasoning blend is pretty darn good!
What to Serve with Lemon Garlic Chicken
Even though I used 4 chicken breasts here, I got about 8 servings out of this one recipe. Just slice the chicken, and serve it over pasta, rice, cauliflower, mashed potatoes or with baby potatoes. Don't forget to pour that amazing sauce over it!
We like to add broccoli or other veggies to round out the meal. If you want, you can always serve the chicken just as it is!
More Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Recipes
Pin this Recipe to Save it!
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for info.
Instant Pot Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken
Instant Pot Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup white wine or water or chicken broth
- lemon juice from one lemon
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence seasoning
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Season chicken breasts with sea salt and pepper
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides. (Do 2 at a time for best results, and keep covered on a plate until you finish)
- Add the white wine (or water or broth) to deglaze pot. Make sure any browned bits are scraped off the bottom. Then, stir in the chopped garlic and lemon juice
- Hit CANCEL to turn pot off, then place the chicken breasts in pot, directly in the liquid, and season with garlic powder and herbes de Provence
- Place lid on Instant Pot, turn vent to Sealing position and hit PRESSURE COOK for 6 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure then begin counting down and cook. When pot beeps, allow a pressure release of 10 minutes. Pot may fully release before 10 minutes.
- When pin drops, remove lid, and remove chicken to a clean platter, and cover with foil to keep warm. Internal temperature should be 165 degrees, according to a meat thermometer
- Hit CANCEL, then hit SAUTE, and stir in heavy cream. Allow sauce to reduce slightly, then Hit CANCEL, and pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with additional lemon slices and fresh chopped parsley if desired
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this super easy and super delicious Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe as much as we do!