Learn how to make simple Instant Pot Chicken Breasts that are perfectly cooked, juicy and delicious every time with this easy recipe!
This is my favorite basic Instant Pot chicken breast recipe, and it's super easy. You can make these Instant Pot chicken breasts for a low carb, healthy dinner or use them in any recipe that calls for cooked chicken. It's perfect for meal prep and works for most diet plans -- low carb, keto etc!
We probably eat chicken for dinner more than anything, so I'm always coming up with easy chicken recipes. Even though I love making oven baked chicken breasts, pressure cooking chicken is perfect when you don't want to turn on the oven.
How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
This recipe is different from plain, poached chicken. The chicken cooks on the trivet -- not directly in the liquid -- so it has a lot more flavor and a better texture for slicing.
How do you keep chicken from drying out or becoming rubbery?
I like to brown the chicken first, using the SAUTE setting, before pressure cooking it. This helps lock in the juices and enhances the flavor.
First, season the chicken with a mixture of sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then, add olive oil, and brown the chicken on both sides. You may have to do this in batches.
After browning all of the chicken, place it on a plate, and cover it. Then, add some chicken broth or water, and deglaze the pot.
Next, place the trivet into the inner pot, and place the chicken on top of the trivet. Sprinkle a little herbes de Provence seasoning on top, and you're ready to pressure cook the chicken.
How Long do you Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot?
It depends on the size of the chicken. I look for chicken breasts that are not too thin or too large. So for average-sized chicken breasts -- around 5 ounces each -- 10 minutes with a 5 minute release is perfect for chicken in the 6 quart IP.
I tested this recipe in both my 8 quart and the 6 quart pressure cookers, and the 8 quart takes longer to heat up and release, so the chicken cooks longer. I found 8 minutes with a 5 minute release worked best.
If you have extra large chicken, you may have to cook it longer. Honestly, I recommend always using a good meat thermometer to make sure the temperature of the cooked chicken is at 165 degrees.
Can you use the IP Poultry Setting?
You can. However, I find using the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL setting to be more accurate.
After the chicken is done, you can serve it right away or let it cool slightly before cutting it up for chicken salad or other recipes. If I'm serving the chicken right away, I like to make a quick lemon butter sauce with the cooking liquid. It's optional, but so good!
Can you Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can. But this recipe works best with fresh chicken.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes that are Healthy
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken -- Use this recipe to make enchiladas!
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken (pulled chicken for sandwiches)
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken -- Use for sliders, dip and roll-ups
Basic Instant Pot Chicken Breasts Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- 4 medium chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon herbes de provence can use Italian seasoning also
- ¾ cup chicken broth or water
- Season chicken with sea salt, garlic powder and pepper, and press SAUTE on the Instant Pot
- Add oil to pot, and place chicken in pot. Cook chicken on both sides for about 2 minutes per side or until light brown. Depending on how much chicken you are cooking, you may have to do this in batches
- Remove chicken to plate, and cover. Deglaze bottom of pot with broth or water, then hit CANCEL
- Place trivet in pot, and add chicken on top of trivet. Sprinkle with herbes de Provence, and place lid on pot
- Set valve to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes. Pot will take a few minutes to pressurize, then begin cooking. When pot beeps, allow a 5 minute natural release
- Turn valve to Venting to release remaining pressure. When pin drops, open pot, and check that internal temperature is 165, according to meat thermometer
- Remove chicken to platter, and cover. Optional -- Hit SAUTE, add 1 tablespoon butter, a squirt of lemon juice and cook for about 5 minutes for a tasty sauce to serve over chicken
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot chicken recipe as much as I do!