This Instant Pot Whole Chicken recipe makes rotisserie style chicken in the pressure cooker in about an hour. Crisp the skin with Duo Crisp lid or broiler.
If you like rotisserie style chicken from the grocery store, you can save money and make your own roasted whole chicken in the Instant Pot. Use the bones to make the best homemade chicken stock or bone broth!
Who doesn’t love rotisserie chicken? It’s perfect for a quick dinner in a pinch, and you can use the leftovers or meat in recipes that call for cooked chicken.
I’ve updated the original recipe that I published in 2018 to include directions for using the Instant Pot Duo Crisp or air fryer crisp lid. You can make crispy skin without transferring the chicken to the oven!
How to Make a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
Back in the dark ages, before we had 5 kids, I used to make roast chicken every so often. So, I just used the same basic recipe.
First, pat the chicken dry, and remove the neck and chicken parts if the chicken has those. Stuff the cavity with part of the onion, lemon, garlic cloves and seasoning.
Rub the olive oil on the chicken. Then, sprinkle the remaining seasoning over the skin.
Place the trivet into the pressure cooker. Then, add the water, and place the chicken on the trivet.
It’s optional, but I like to place a whole garlic clove on top of the chicken. After it cooks, you can mash the roasted garlic over the skin. Yum!
There was a little bit of onion and lemon that didn’t fit in the chicken, so I just threw the pieces into the pot.
The first time I made a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, I added chicken broth for the liquid. The second time, I somehow forgot to thaw the broth I had in the freezer, and I didn’t have any more in the pantry. Horrors!
So, I just added some water, and honestly, I couldn’t tell the difference in the end. The kids even said they liked the second one better, so there you go. Use what liquid you have!
How Long to Pressure Cook a Whole Chicken
The rule of thumb is to cook a whole chicken for 6 minutes per pound. I like to buy 5 pound chickens and cook them for 30 minutes.
If I get a 4 pound chicken, I cook it for 25. This works every time!
How to Get Crispy Skin
The only problem with pressure cooker whole chicken is that you won’t get that amazingly delicious crispy skin we all know and love. Personally, I think it’s easiest to broil the chicken in the oven for a few minutes after it’s done pressure cooking.
Just remove the chicken from the pressure cooker. Then, place the chicken in an oven safe casserole dish, and broil until the skin is brown and crisp.
Cook the Chicken in the Duo Crisp or use a Crisp Lid
You can make the chicken in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp air fryer/pressure cooker. Just cook the chicken on the trivet like the regular pressure cooker.
When it’s done, remove the pressure cooker lid, and put the air fryer lid on top. Set it to Broil, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
You can easily add more time if you like darker, crispier skin. If you have the crisp lid, just follow the same directions.
Tips for Making Rotisserie Chicken in the Electric Pressure Cooker
- Season chicken well on the outside and inside
- Use a trivet to keep chicken out of liquids and for easier removal
- Plan to cook whole chickens for 6 minutes per pound
- Broil or use the crisp lid or Duo Crisp after pressure cooking for extra flavor and crispier skin
Looking for More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes?
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Instant Pot Lemon Orzo Chicken Soup
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Recipe updated on 3/17/20
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- 1 4 to 5-pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 white or yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- Pat chicken with paper towel to remove excess moisture, and rub with olive oil
- Sprinkle herbes de Provence, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder over chicken and in cavity, then stuff garlic cloves, onion and lemon into cavity. If not all pieces fit, add extra pieces of lemon or onion to the pot with the chicken.
- Place trivet in Instant Pot, pour stock or water into pot, and place chicken, breast side up on trivet.
- Place cover on pot, turn knob to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK or manual for 30 minutes
- Allow 10 to 12 minutes natural release, then hit CANCEL, and do quick release, and open pot when pin drops. Internal temperature should be at least 165, according to meat thermometer
- Lift up trivet, and remove chicken to baking pan or casserole dish, along with some of the cooking liquid. Broil for about 5 minutes or until skin is golden and crisp, if desired
- For the Duo Crisp or crisp lid, once the pressure cooking is done, remove lid, and place air fryer/crisp lid on Instant Pot. Press CANCEL to turn off KEEP WARM cycle, then hit BROIL for 6 to 8 minutes or to desired doneness. Directions may vary with individual model/brand
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!