Make the BEST Instant Pot Shredded Beef from a chuck roast and salsa verde, and use for tacos, burritos or nachos with this easy pressure cooker recipe!
If you’re looking for new ways to cook a chuck roast or just new Instant Pot recipes, you’re going to love this super easy Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef recipe. Just add everything to the pot, pressure cook it, and enjoy the most tender, flavorful, juiciest shredded beef ever!
I love, love, love cooking chuck roasts in the Instant Pot! You can transform a tough cut of meat into tender perfection in your pressure cooker in about an hour, so it’s perfect when you don’t plan ahead or when you have a change in plans — happens all the time here!
So, I was originally going to make a Crock-Pot Chuck Roast, but my family voted to have Mexican food, instead. Fine by me! I just tweaked my usual Salsa Verde Chicken recipe and used a a chuck roast instead of chicken.
Super easy, and even though it took longer than chicken, the result was definitely worth the wait! Seriously, this might just be the BEST chuck roast recipe ever!
What Cut of Meat is Best for Shredding
You can’t beat chuck roast for easy shredded beef or pulled beef. When cooked long enough, it shreds easily with a fork. Other good cuts for shredded beef include brisket, round steak or flank steak.
How to Make Mexican Shredded Beef in the Instant Pot
I like to cut the chuck roast into smaller pieces so that it cooks evenly — and it always cooks perfectly this way! 3 or 4 large cuts are fine.
Place the cut roast into the pressure cooker, and season it. I use a homemade taco seasoning blend, but you can use a packet or your favorite taco seasoning if you want.
Then, slice up an onion, throw it into the pot, and follow that with a cup of salsa verde. That’s all you need to do!
The beef roast, plus the onions will release plenty of water, so you don’t need to add beef broth or any other liquid here other than the salsa verde. When you open the pot after pressure cooking, you’ll be surprised how much liquid is in the pot!
The acidity in salsa verde helps tenderize the chuck roast. The beef seriously melts in your mouth, and it tastes incredible. Perfect for shredded beef tacos or burritos or nachos!
This recipe makes a lot of beef, so you can use the leftover shredded beef later in the week or freeze it. Meal planning made easy!
What to Serve with Shredded Beef Tacos
- Shredded cheese
- Cotija cheese if you can find it
- Pico de Gallo
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Extra salsa verde or salsa
- Sliced radishes or shredded cabbage for extra crunch
More Instant Pot Beef Chuck Roast Recipes
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Instant Pot Shredded Beef Recipe
Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- 1 3.5 pound beef chuck roast cut into 3 or 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cup salsa verde
- Place the cut chuck roast into the inner Instant pot liner
- Sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, pepper and cayenne pepper
- Place sliced onions on top, and pour salsa verde over roast
- Cover with lid, make sure vent is at Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 60 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then begin cooking. When pot beeps, allow a 15 minute natural release, then quick release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, carefully remove lid. Remove chuck roast to a platter, and shred, using 2 forks
- Place shredded beef back into pot to keep warm, or transfer to serving bowl and serve immediately
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!