Cheesy Kielbasa Casserole with egg noodles and cabbage is an easy meal that is delicious comfort food. This Polish casserole is a family favorite that is also easy on the budget!
Easy Kielbasa Casserole Recipe
This delicious kielbasa bake is made with savory kielbasa sausage, tender egg noodles and cabbage, plus a mix of cottage cheese and sour cream for creaminess. Did I mention butter, onions, spices and cheese?
I make this Polish sausage casserole like my haluski recipe and bake it in the oven topped with cheese for the ultimate comfort food. This easy family meal is almost like a Polish lasagna, and my whole family loves it!
This easy recipe comes together quickly and is simple enough for busy weeknights. I use the same pot to cook the noodles and the other ingredients so it's practically a one pot meal. I like to mix everything in the casserole dish. And since it makes a lot of food, you still only have one pot to wash. Easy recipes are the best!
You only need a few simple ingredients for this smoked sausage casserole recipe. They are easy to locate in the grocery store. Full amounts are in the printable recipe card below.
- Kielbasa -- smoked sausage or Polska kielbasa sliced into half-inch rounds. If you're using pre-packaged Polish sausage like Hillshire Farms or Eckrich, you may want to use 2 packages for a meatier casserole.
- Butter -- to fry the onion and cabbage
- Onion -- Diced onion adds flavor.
- Noodles -- I use egg noodles, but any short pasta would work
- Cabbage -- Green cabbage, cored and sliced into squares or thick strips. You can use peas or green beans as an alternative.
- Sour cream -- adds tang and creaminess
- Cottage cheese -- adds creaminess
- Seasonings -- sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder
- Cheese -- I used Colby Jack cheese. You can use cheddar or Monterey Jack or Mozzarella. Cheese is optional, but makes this casserole extra delicious!
How to Make Polish Casserole
First, cook egg noodles until al dente or just tender. They will cook longer as the casserole bakes, and you don't want mushy noodles. I like to drain them and place in a greased casserole dish with a little butter while I prepare the other ingredients.
Sauté the kielbasa slices on medium heat in a large pot or large frying pan until they start to brown. Then, remove them to a clean plate and cover to keep warm.
Sauté the onion in melted butter until soft and translucent. Then, add more butter and the cabbage and seasonings. Cook until the cabbage is tender.
Transfer the cabbage and onion to the baking dish. Add the sour cream, cottage cheese and cooked sausage and mix with the noodles. You can mix everything in a large bowl if you prefer.
Top this simple casserole with shredded cheese and bake in a preheated oven until heated through and the cheese is melted. All ovens are different, but cooking time for this sausage noodle casserole is around 25 to 30 minutes.
I like to serve this delicious meal with extra sour cream and slices of rye bread and butter.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover sausage casserole in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can reheat individual portions in the microwave.
Helpful Recipe Tips
Slice the kielbasa into half moons or smaller pieces to stretch out the meat.
I usually use a whole stick of butter, but you can cut down the amount as needed or sub olive oil or cooking oil.
Don't overcook the noodles as they will get softer as the sausage noodle casserole bakes.
More Hearty Casserole Recipes
If you love cabbage, try my cabbage roll casserole (halupki casserole) next. My baked pierogi casserole and kielbasa and sauerkraut and slow cooker sausage and potatoes are perfect if you love kielbasa recipes. Check out more easy casserole recipes for dinner inspiration.
Cheesy Kielbasa Casserole
- 1 ½ pounds smoked kielbasa cut into ½ inch rounds
- ½ cup butter divided
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small head of cabbage cored and sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- Grease a baking dish or 13x9 pan with butter or non stick spray
- Cook egg noodles in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, and place in prepared baking dish. Toss with 3 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet or pot, cook kielbasa slices on medium heat until lightly brown, remove to a clean plate, and cover with foil
- In the same pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter, and sauté onion until soft and translucent
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter, sliced cabbage, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and cook until soft
- Add the cabbage and onions to the egg noodles, and stir in sour cream and cottage cheese
- Stir in cooked kielbasa, smooth ingredients evenly in baking dish, and top with shredded cheese
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until dish is heated through and cheese is melted
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
For more easy dinner recipes, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow on social media.