This Low Carb Sausage Egg Breakfast Scramble with colorful peppers and Parmesan cheese is a delicious way to start your day!
I think I told you this before, but I’m really not much of a breakfast person, which is why I don’t share breakfast recipes that often on the blog. We do usually have a big breakfast at least once on the weekends. The kids are all about the carbs — pancakes, muffins, waffles, you name it. And really, I don’t blame them!
But since the Hubs is on a low carb diet, we try to make low carb breakfast recipes whenever we can. Sometimes, we make simple scrambled eggs, and sometimes we make sausage and egg cups or ham and egg cups.
But lately, we’ve been making this easy low carb sausage and egg skillet with peppers for breakfast. It’s made in one pan, and it’s got tons of flavor. Even the kids like it, and that definitely means it’s edible!
The key to making this breakfast scramble work is to cook it in two separate parts and then combine the ingredients at the end. If you try to cook the sausage and eggs at the same time, you end up with egg coated sausage. And that’s definitely not a good thing!
Basically, you cook the sausage and peppers together. Then, when they’re done, you put them on a plate and let them sit for a few minutes while you cook the eggs.
When the eggs are starting to set, but not completely done, you add the sausage and pepper mixture to the eggs and stir gently until the eggs are done. Then, you top the sausage and egg mixture with some shredded Parmesan cheese, and breakfast is served!
I should probably try doing a video for this recipe because it sounds more complicated than it is. If you know how to scramble eggs, you’ve got this! And even if you’re not a pro at cooking scrambled eggs, you’ll definitely master this recipe in no time.
This breakfast scramble is also very easy to customize. You can add different cheese or sausage, some potatoes or different spices — whatever works for you!
How to Make Low Carb Sausage Egg Breakfast Scramble
Low Carb Sausage Egg Breakfast Scramble
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 2 cups red and yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 10 eggs, whisked together
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped, if desired
- In a large non-stick skillet, fry sausage and peppers over medium-high heat until peppers are slightly soft and sausage is done
- While sausage is cooking, crack eggs into large bowl or measuring cup, and whisk together
- Remove sausage from pan and transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and drain off any excess liquid from pan
- Heat butter or olive oil in same pan over medium heat, then add eggs
- Cook, stirring often, until slightly set, but not completely done
- Add sausage and pepper mixture, sea salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, and gently stir until eggs are firm but still slightly soft
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, if desired, and serve immediately
I really think you are going to love this easy low carb sausage egg breakfast scramble. Like I mentioned before, even my picky eaters ate this right up. If you try it, let me know how it goes.