Easy Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies from scratch are frosted with peppermint buttercream and topped with chocolate ganache. Perfect for holiday baking!
These chocolate mint brownies are truly amazing. They’re fudgy, loaded with chocolate and bursting with peppermint flavor. And even though this decadent dessert has three layers, it’s still basically an easy homemade brownie recipe.
I found this mint chocolate brownies recipe in my grandma’s recipe collection, and it sounded so delicious that I had to try it. I used my basic one bowl chocolate brownies recipe as the base, and then my daughter and I modified the rest of the recipe until we were completely satisfied with the results.
As much as we love our Peppermint Brownies and One-Bowl S’mores Brownies, we may just like these mint brownies even better — maybe. So, if you’re looking for the world’s best best brownies, you have to give these minty fudgy brownies a try.
Seriously, you guys, we made these chocolate mint brownies twice last week, and my kids devoured them both times. I’m lucky that I managed to take pictures before they were gone!
How to make easy homemade chocolate mint brownies
Like I said, I used a basic one-bowl brownie recipe without cocoa powder for the base. You can make them on the stove in one pot or in the microwave. Then, you pour the brownie batter into a parchment-paper lined baking pan.
What size is a brownie pan?
I always use a 9 x 13-inch pan to make brownies. This gives you brownies that are just the right thickness, with a shorter baking time compared with a smaller pan. I also highly recommend using parchment paper to line the pan — especially for this recipe, since you’re frosting them and cutting them into bars before serving.
How do you know if brownies are ready?
The edges will start to pull away from the pan, and the middle will be mostly firm. A toothpick inserted into the center will be mostly clean, but you may see some chocolate from the semi sweet morsels. Just don’t over bake!
After the brownies cool, you make the peppermint frosting layer and spread it over the chocolate brownies. Then, you let this layer firm up enough to add the chocolate ganache. You can pop them into the fridge to speed up the process!
The chocolate ganache is made without heavy cream — It’s just butter and chocolate. Mix the ingredients together in a small pot, and pour it over the peppermint layer.
Use a spatula to spread the ganache evenly over the brownies, then sprinkle some chocolate mint chip pieces over the chocolate. It’s not completely necessary, but it just gives these fudgy chewy brownies an extra layer of deliciousness.
Pop the mint chocolate chip brownies into the fridge for about 30 minutes, then slice them up, and they’re ready to eat! You can definitely make these brownies anytime you want, but because they’re so minty and festive looking, they really are perfect for holiday baking and cookie exchanges!
Speaking of cookie exchanges, I’m participating in a virtual one — The Sweetest Season — hosted by Erin from the Speckled Palate. If you’re looking for more holiday cookie recipes, check out the cookies, bars and brownies made by some uber talented food bloggers!
Tools used to make these homemade brownies
contains affiliate links. Please see disclosure for more information
Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies Recipe
Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies
For the chocolate brownies
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the peppermint frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp peppermint extract
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 3 drops green gel food coloring
for the chocolate ganache
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large microwaveable mixing bowl, combine butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips, and melt in short increments in microwave. Allow to cool slightly. Or, heat butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan on the stove over low heat
- Stir in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added
- Add the sugar, flour, baking soda and cinnamon, and stir until combined
- Stir in second cup of chocolate chips
- Pour mixture into parchment-paper lined or greased 9X13 baking pan, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until edges are firm and pulling away from the sides of the pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (there may be chocolate from the chocolate chips)
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool
For the peppermint frosting
- Beat softened butter and powdered sugar together with a mixer
- Add heavy cream, peppermint extract and vanilla and beat well. Stir in the food coloring
- Cover the brownies with the frosting and let them cool in the fridge until the frosting is set.
For the chocolate ganache
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small pot
- Poor the chocolate over the brownies. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate until the brownies are evenly covered
- Sprinkle mint chips over the brownies and put them in the fridge to cool
- Before the chocolate hardens, cut the brownies. I let mine sit in the fridge for 30 minutes, but some fridges work faster.
I hope you enjoy these awesome mint chocolate chip brownies as much as we do!