Whip up a batch of easy, one bowl frosted Peppermint Brownies in a matter of minutes and make a second batch to give away as holiday gifts!
How do you improve a rich, thick, chocolate-filled brownie? You dress it up for the holidays by adding a layer of chocolate frosting and flavoring it with plenty of peppermint, of course!
We’ve been having wonderfully cool weather lately, and I’ve been baking like crazy. Honestly, I love this time of year, but after the holidays, I may need to live in yoga pants for a little bit! Luckily, I can count on the kiddos to make most of the treats disappear, and I’m sure I can find good homes for the rest. That’s the other nice thing about the holidays — gift giving!
And since we’re talking Christmas treats here, I just had to use peppermint. I made some peppermint sugar scrubs last week, and they smelled so incredibly good that I wanted to make something edible this time around.
I just used my favorite one-bowl brownie recipe and added some peppermint extract. Then, I made a simple frosting by scattering a bunch of chocolate chips over the brownies when they were done and allowing them to slowly melt into a layer of chocolaty goodness. Finally, I topped the whole thing off with some crushed peppermint candies.
It’s almost like a layer of peppermint bark over brownies — yum!
How to Make Frosted Peppermint Brownies
Frosted Peppermint Brownies
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (divided)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a large pot or microwaveable bowl, melt the butter and 1 cup of the chips over low heat. If microwaving, heat chips and butter in short increments, stirring frequently
- When melted, remove from heat and stir in the peppermint extract.
- Add eggs, sugar, cinnamon, flour and baking soda, and mix well.
- Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips, and pour mixture into a greased 13 X 9 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of brownies comes out fairly clean.
- Remove from oven, turn off heat, and drop remaining cup of chocolate chips over the top. You can add more if you want a thicker layer of chocolate.
- Return the brownie pan to the oven and allow chips to melt.
- Remove again, and use a spatula to spread the melted chips evenly over the top.
- Top with peppermint candies, and cut into squares when cool.Enjoy!
We just finished the pan today. The kids took some in their lunches, and I may have tasted a few myself. But I have to, right? I have to test them before I write them up, just to make sure they taste good, and believe me, they sure do!
So if you love chocolate and peppermint, and you’re looking for easy treats to make for Christmas, try these peppermint brownies. I highly recommend them!
Thanks so much for visiting!