Mom’s Best Meatloaf Recipe is a classic dinner made with ground beef, onion soup mix and a simple ketchup glaze. Flavorful and delicious!
This traditional meatloaf recipe was on the menu weekly at our house. It’s tender, juicy, holds its shape and turns out perfectly every time. Seriously, you can’t mess it up!
If you’re looking for an easy meatloaf recipe like mom used to make, this might be the one. Lipton onion soup is the key ingredient here. I usually make my own seasoning, but this recipe tastes exactly like mom’s!
Ingredients You Need
- Ground beef — 80/20 ground chuck works best here
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix (or any brand)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Bread crumbs or cracker meal (plain or Italian)
- Ketchup (We use Hinds)
- Garlic powder — optional, but we like garlic
How to Make Meatloaf with Onion Soup Mix
First, add all of your ingredients to a large mixing bowl. You can also beat the eggs slightly before adding them if you want.
Next, mix the ingredients together. My mom always let me help with this part, and my kids get this job today. Using your hands is the best way to mix the meatloaf!
Don’t Overmix the Meat
The more you mix the ingredients, the tougher the meat will be. Just mix the ingredients until the ground beef starts to stick together.
Then, place the meat into a baking dish, and form it into a loaf shape. I usually aim for a loaf that is about 2 inches thick.
Top the loaf with a thin layer of ketchup. This lets the top brown and form a nice crust. I usually add a little bit more ketchup about halfway through for a thicker glaze.
Cook the meatloaf uncovered at 350 degrees. This allows a nice crust to form on the top. If the loaf starts to get too brown, you can always cover it lightly with a sheet of aluminum foil.
Meatloaf takes about 1 hour to cook. Start testing for doneness at 50 minutes since all ovens are different. When the temperature is 350 degrees, you’re ready to eat!
Best Side Dishes to Serve
Mom’s Best Meatloaf Recipe
Mom’s Best Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20 ground chuck works best
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix or any brand
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup plus more for the top
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs plain or Italian
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and add the ground beef, soup mix, eggs, ketchup, breadcrumbs, water, Worcestershire sauce and garlic to a large mixing bowl
- Mix all ingredients together with your hands just until mixture starts to stick together
- Place meat in greased or foil lined baking dish, form into loaf shape about 2 inches thick, spread a thin layer of ketchup on top, and bake uncovered for 1 hour or until internal temperature is 160 degrees, according to meat thermometer. Can add more ketchup to top right before done for a thicker glaze if desired
More Meatloaf Recipes
- My Favorite Meatloaf
- Cheesy BBQ Meatloaf
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Cheddar BBQ Meatloaf Muffins
- Italian Meatloaf Muffins
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!