Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich on an English muffin is an easy recipe for homemade McDonald’s McMuffins. Easy and delicious!
These homemade sausage Mcmuffin breakfast sandwiches are better than takeout and super easy to make. Start off with a seasoned sausage patty, add a perfectly cooked fried egg, a slice of melted American cheese and serve on toasted English muffins. What’s not to love about that?!
Whip up a batch on the weekend and reheat them during the week. You can even freeze them for a quick grab and go meal later!
We’ve been making these sausage and egg sandwiches for breakfast since way back when. I’ve just updated the post with newer instructions and pictures!
How to Make a Breakfast Sandwich with Sausage, Eggs and Cheese
Since the sausage takes the longest to cook, you’ll want to cook them first. You can make air fryer breakfast sausage or fry them on the stove.
Next, fry the eggs. My kids hate runny yolks, so we cook the eggs until the yolks are nice and firm.
You can also bake the eggs if you’re cooking a bunch. Personally, I don’t like the texture, so the stovetop method works for me!
Then, toast the English muffins. You can also toast the muffins in the air fryer or bake them in the oven. Whatever works best for you!
Place a slice of American cheese on the cooked egg. Now, it’s time to assemble the sandwich.
Place the cooked sausage patty on the bottom half of the English muffin. Top it with the fried egg.
Top the egg with cheese if you haven’t done so already. Finally, add the top of the muffin over the cheese. Easy peasy, right?!
Want more flavor? Butter the muffins and add salsa, hot sauce, ketchup or BBQ sauce. My kids have to have either ketchup or BBQ sauce on their egg sandwiches!
Freeze for Later
You can freeze the breakfast sandwiches for later. Just wrap them in freezer paper or wax paper and store in a freezer bag. To reheat, wrap them in a paper towel, and heat on the reheat setting or defrost in the microwave.
More Sausage and Egg Recipes
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Burritos
- Air Fryer Breakfast Burritos
- Cheesy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Low Carb Sausage Egg Breakfast Scramble
- Sausage Sourdough Breakfast Casserole
Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches
- butter for frying
- 4 sausage patties
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices cheese
- 4 English muffins
- Form breakfast sausage into patties, and air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway or cook on the stove until done. Internal temperature should be at least 160°.
- Fry the eggs on medium heat, flipping once, until the yolk is firm.
- Top with slice of cheese, or add cheese when assembling sandwich
- Toast the English muffins.
- Then, layer the sausage patty, egg and cheese on one half of the toasted muffin and top it all off with the other half.
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!
Recipe was originally published in 2015 and updated in 2021