Easy Back to School Apple Cupcakes are a delicious way to celebrate the start of the new school year. They’re perfect for class parties, too!
If your kids are heading back to school soon or already in school, here’s a fun way to celebrate the start of a new school year. I posted this easy recipe for back to school cupcakes at Somewhat Simple a year ago, but since it’s that time again, I wanted to share it here.
We always have a little family celebration the night before the kids go back to school. I started this tradition way, way back when my oldest baby went to kindergarten, and we’ve kept it up each year since then. It’s nothing fancy — just kind of a fun family tradition that always ends with school-themed dessert. The kids choose the dessert, and it changes every year.
One year, we made a school bus cake, and another year, we went all out and made a 3-D school bus cake. That was super cute, but a lot of work, so we never tried that one again! I think we also did an easy replica of the kids’ school one year. Like I said, it keeps changing, and we’re actually making another school bus cake right now!
Anyway, these cute little apple cupcakes are from last year, and they are super easy — different, too. We took the easy way out and used a cake mix and a jar of frosting. You can make yours from scratch, but since we’re so busy getting everything else together, sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do!
Just make the cupcakes, tint the frosting and frost these babies!
We used red sugar sprinkles for extra color and sparkle. And for the stems, we used pretzel sticks. The leaves are made from green mint candies that we cut into smaller pieces.
I always bake with parchment paper, so I just popped the cupcakes into red liners before serving. It’s not necessary, but it just makes the cupcakes look a little more like apples.
We think these little back to school apple cupcakes are super cute. We had enough left over that my daughter even shared some with her friends at school. These would make fun treats for class parties, too!
And if you’re looking for other back-to-school ideas, check these out:
- 21 Easy One Pot Dinners for Back to School
- Easy Apple Jacks Marshmallow Treats
- Easy Cinnamon Brown Sugar Overnight Oats
- Apple Raisin Muffins
- Back to School Ideas
Back to School Apple Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix plus ingredients to make cake
- 1 small can of vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- Red sugar sprinkles
- Green Candy Leaves sliced thin
- Pretzel sticks
- Follow instructions on box to make cupcakes, and allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring to the frosting, and mix well until frosting is dark pink.
- Spread a thin amount of frosting evenly on each cupcake.
- Sprinkle some red sugar crystals over the frosting on each cupcake.
- Cut pretzel sticks in half, and poke one end of one half in the top of each cupcake.
- Garnish with sliced candy leaves on one side of each pretzel stick stem.
Happy Fall, Y’all!
Sharing at Weekend Potluck