Creamy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is a quick and easy pasta dinner or side dish that takes just a few minutes to make in your pressure cooker. You only need a few ingredients for this rich and creamy homemade macaroni and cheese recipe, and it's definitely kid approved!
This recipe for Instant Pot mac and cheese is a complete game changer and one of the easiest Instant Pot recipes you can cook. One bite of this creamy, cheesy pasta and you'll never go back to the boxed macaroni and cheese again!
So, I finally made mac and cheese in the Instant Pot, and I can't believe I waited this long to try it! See, I'm not really a fan of mac and cheese. But the Hubs and the kids love it, so I'll sometimes make homemade macaroni and cheese on the stove for them. I'm nice like that!
But, I've been seeing so many people make mac and cheese in the pressure cooker lately, and they all just rave about it. It's like something you have to make when you buy an Instant Pot, know what I mean?
So, I gave in, and I made Instant Pot mac and cheese one night when I needed something quick and easy for dinner. And you guys, it was awesome! I used to make macaroni and cheese in the slow cooker, using evaporated milk, and this Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe is so much faster. Plus, it's made without evaporated milk, and it tasted so much better!
Instant Pot mac and cheese only takes about 15 minutes, and you'll be enjoying a cheesy, creamy macaroni and cheese dinner in no time! And, you can easily make a delicious homemade baked mac and cheese from the leftovers!
How to make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
All you do is add the macaroni pasta, some butter and whatever seasonings you prefer to the Instant Pot. You can use plain old salt and pepper, or you can add more spices for extra flavor. I added some garlic powder for this version because I wanted as much flavor as possible.
After the pasta cooks, you add in the good stuff. I used heavy cream because I love super creamy mac and cheese, and this does the trick -- much better than evaporated milk or regular milk!
Next, you gradually stir in the cheese. You can use your favorite cheese here, but plan to use at least 3 cups, and please, don't use the packaged shredded cheese! It just doesn't melt as well as the block cheese, and you definitely want your cheese to melt into a smooth and creamy sauce!
I used a combo of sharp cheddar, gouda and Parm, but like I said, you can play around with the flavors to find a mix that you really like. This is an awesome combo, though!
Just look at that creamy, cheesy goodness! I think you're gonna love this mac and cheese, friends!
Tips to Make Perfect Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot
- Don't use pre-packaged shredded cheese
- Use cream or evaporated milk for creamier texture
- Cut butter into pieces instead of using one big chunk
- Do a gradual quick release for less mess
- Stir cheese in gradually and allow to melt before adding more
Looking for More Easy Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Creamy Shells and Beef
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Instant Pot Mom's Best Chili Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
How to Make Creamy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese in the Pressure Cooker
Creamy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 1 16-ounce box elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into even pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add the macaroni, water, butter, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper to the Instant Pot
- Turn valve to sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes
- Allow pot to come to pressure, and after 4 minutes cook time, do a gradual quick release, hit CANCEL, and open lid when pin drops
- Gently stir the macaroni, then gradually stir in the cream
- Gradually, stir in the cheeses, about 1 cup at a time, and mix well so that it all blends together
- Serve immediately, and top with additional shredded cheese, if desired
This creamy Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe was a huge, huge hit with my family. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Don't forget to make baked mac and cheese with the leftovers!
Sharing at Weekend Potluck