This easy Crockpot BBQ Chicken Recipe makes tender flavorful pulled chicken for the best barbecue chicken sandwiches. Everyone loves this easy recipe, and it is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!
This easy slow cooker bbq chicken recipe is now my favorite way to make a bunch of pulled chicken. This is a great recipe to have in your back pocket when you need an easy dinner.
I love to make crockpot pulled bbq chicken on busy weeknights or when I need a simple dinner on the weekends. I use my slow cooker year round, and this easy slow cooker recipe is perfect if you're looking for easy summer crockpot meals!
If you're looking for more crockpot chicken recipes, try my Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches, Crockpot Honey Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches, Crockpot Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches and my Crock Pot recipes page.
You need a few simple ingredients for this easy slow cooker chicken recipe. You find them in your grocery store.
- Chicken -- boneless skinless chicken breasts or skinless chicken thighs
- BBQ sauce -- I use Sweet Baby Ray sauce as it's my favorite brand of barbecue sauce, but you can use a bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce or homemade barbecue sauce.
- Seasonings -- Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and black pepper. I like the added flavor, but you skip the extra spice if you want.
How to Make Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
First, spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use a crock pot liner if you like.
Then, place the chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the seasonings on top of the chicken.
Then, pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken.
Place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 3-4 hours on low. The exact cooking time depends upon the size and brand of your crockpot and the size of the chicken.
My crockpot cooks super fast, so it takes about 2 hours on high. When the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees f, it's done.
Crock Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken
Shred the chicken with 2 forks. Or, use a hand mixer (my favorite way) or stand mixer to easily shred chicken.
Return the chicken to the slow cooker to soak up that delicious barbecue sauce. You can add extra barbecue sauce for saucier chicken if you like.
Keep the crockpot on warm or low until you are ready to eat.
How to Store and Reheat
Refrigerate leftover BBQ chicken in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for 3-4 days. You can freeze leftover chicken in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months -- great for meal prep!
Reheat BBQ pulled chicken in the microwave or on the stove top. Add more sauce as needed.
In a hurry? Make my Instant Pot BBQ Chicken in less than 30 minutes!
Use chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat. The cook time remains the same.
Add red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce or chipotle sauce for added spice and different flavor. Add honey or brown sugar for sweetness.
You can add a little chicken broth if needed or if you prefer a thinner sauce.
How to Serve Shredded BBQ Chicken
Serve pulled BBQ chicken in hamburger buns or slider buns. You can also make BBQ chicken nachos or serve the chicken over a baked potato or sweet potatoes.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup BBQ sauce plus extra as needed
- Spray crock pot with non stick spray
- Place chicken on bottom of slow cooker
- Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and black pepper over chicken
- Pour BBQ sauce on top of chicken
- Place lid on slow cooker, and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low or until chicken is 165℉
- Shred chicken using 2 forks or a hand held mixer. Return to crock pot and keep warm until ready to eat. Add more sauce if needed.
- Serve on sandwich buns
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
My family loves this easy crockpot chicken recipe. They say it is the best recipe for BBQ chicken!
I hope you enjoy this easy meal as much as we do. If you do make this slow cooker chicken, please leave a star rating and/or comment.
For more slow cooker chicken recipes and easy dinner ideas, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow on social media.