This Easy Instant Pot Carnitas Recipe lets you make amazing homemade Mexican pulled pork in the pressure cooker! Crisp it up for the best tacos ever!
If you like tacos, you’re going to love this easy carnitas recipe! Just add seasoned pork butt to your Instant Pot or any electric pressure cooker, and in less than 2 hours, you’ll have the most flavorful tender, juicy pulled pork ever. Crisp it up under the broiler, and you’ve got the BEST pork tacos in town!
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for info
You guys, I can’t believe it took me this long to make pork carnitas from scratch! Usually, I make regular pulled pork in my Instant Pot and make quick leftover pork carnitas the next day. But last week, I had the biggest craving for Mexican food, so I had the Hubs stop by our favorite local butcher shop just so I could make a huge batch of carnitas that night!
People will argue day and night about what makes an authentic carnitas recipe, so I’m not going there. I will say that pressure cooking the pork with citrus juices helps break down a tough cut of beef and makes it fork tender in no time — faster than in a Dutch oven or slow cooker!
The best thing about this Instant Pot recipe is you don’t have to leave the house or plan hours ahead to enjoy some amazingly delicious Mexican food. Doesn’t get any better than that!
What’s the Best Meat for Carnitas?
Carnitas means “little meats” in Spanish. So personally, I think the best cut for little, or shredded pork is pork shoulder or pork butt. You can do bone-in, which is what we usually do, or boneless.
How to Make Easy Pork Carnitas in the Pressure Cooker
When I make my usual pulled pork, I season it liberally all over, and Mexican pulled pork is no different. I just add a little chili powder or ancho chili powder and ground cumin to the usual spice mixture.
You also want to cut the pork into smaller pieces. I like to do 3 big chunks. If you’ve seen the Pioneer Woman’s carnitas, she does smaller pieces and browns them first, which cuts down the cook time even more.
I’d rather not take that much time cutting meat, so I leave them in larger pieces, throw it all into the pot, and let the pressure cooker do the work! Next, add a chopped onion and garlic cloves — I like to stick them into the meat!
Squirt the juice from a lime and an orange over the meat — The citrus helps break down the fat and connective tissues and adds a subtle fresh flavor. Finally, pour in a bottle of your favorite beer.
This definitely isn’t authentic, but if you use one with fruit or citrus notes, it adds even more flavor. I use Blue Moon for Instant Pot ribs, but this time I used a local Four Peaks peach lager — so good and peachy!
How Long to Pressure Cook Pork Shoulder
Pressure cook the pork for 90 minutes in the Instant Pot, and it’ll be perfectly fork tender. I’ve tried cooking for less time, but it wasn’t easily shreddable. 90 minutes is golden, friends!
Crisp up Carnitas in the Oven
Arrange the pulled pork on a large baking sheet, and pour some of the cooking liquid over the meat. Then, broil the carnitas for about 5 to 10 minutes or until as crispy as you like it.
Now, you’re ready to make your pork tacos or just eat the meat off the tray — We’ve done this before! So dang good!
What to Serve with Carnitas
- Tomatoes or pico de gallo
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Jalapeño slices
- Shredded cheese or cotija cheese
- Chopped cilantro
Really, you can add whatever you want. The leftovers are perfect for pulled pork nachos!
Pin to save the recipe!
Easy Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Recipe
Easy Instant Pot Carnitas
- 6 pound pork shoulder roast (pork butt) cut into 3 large pieces
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 onion cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lime juice of
- 1 orange juice of
- 1 bottle beer use Mexican beer or beer with citrus or fruit notes for best flavor
- Cut the pork into 3 large chunks
- Mix the sea salt, garlic powder, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika and chili powder together, and rub into pork
- Place the seasoned pork into pressure cooker, and add the onion and garlic cloves. Squeeze the orange and lime juice over the pork, and pour the beer into the pot
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 90 minutes (display reads 130)
- When pot beeps, allow 15 minute release, then turn vent knob to release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, remove lid, and shred pork
- Place pork on rimmed baking sheet, add some of the cooking liquid, and broil for about 10 minutes or until top is crispy. Add more of the juice over pork before serving
I hope you enjoy this easy pressure cooker pork carnitas recipe as much as we do!