Easy Peppermint Mocha Cookies are made with chocolate cake mix and coffee creamer. These cake mix cookies taste like peppermint mocha latte and are perfect for the holiday season!
Like peppermint mocha coffee? Then, you'll love these soft and chewy peppermint mocha cookies! They're like your favorite winter coffee in cookie form.
These peppermint chocolate cookies are extra special! Not only are these chocolate cookies easy to make using a box of cake mix but they're also incredibly fool-proof. And the soft, chewy texture is just perfect!
These chocolate cake mix cookies are bursting with chocolate chips and peppermint flavor in every bite. So, they make awesome Christmas cookies! And, they are perfect for swapping at your holiday cookie exchange!
I'm all about baking from scratch. But, there are definitely times when you just need to take a shortcut, especially during holiday baking marathons. No mixing dry ingredients with wet ingredients or searching for instant coffee or instant espresso powder. Cake mix and creamer make things easy.
You only need a few simple ingredients for this easy recipe. They should be easy to find at your grocery store. Full amounts are in the printable recipe card below.
- Chocolate cake mix -- I used devil's food here.
- Eggs -- large eggs
- Peppermint mocha coffee creamer -- to thin the dough and add flavor
- Melted butter
- Chocolate chips -- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Peppermint extract -- for extra flavor
- White chocolate chips -- for chocolate drizzle
- Peppermint candies -- or or crushed candy canes or baking chips for decorating (optional)
How to Make Peppermint Mocha Cookies from Cake Mix
Just mix everything together in a large bowl, and mix with an electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Alternately, you can use the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Fold in your chocolate chips using a rubber spatula last.
Then, scoop up the cookie dough, and place it on your prepared baking sheets. I use parchment paper or silicone mats for easy clean up. It's not necessary, but it definitely helps, and the cookies don't stick!
Bake these chocolate peppermint cookies for 8-12 minutes or until the edge are firm and tops no longer look wet.
Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
I added a drizzle of melted white chocolate on top of the cookies. Then, I sprinkled crushed peppermint candies on top of the drizzle.
This part is optional, but it makes a huge difference in flavor. Plus, these chewy cookies look extra special!
Instead of just plain chocolate peppermint cookies, you have a cookie that really does resemble a peppermint mocha! Tastes like one too!
If you don't want to get fancy, you can add extra chocolate chips or white chocolate chips and peppermint chips before baking. The peppermint baking chips tend to melt, so you may want to add more right after baking.
How to Store
Store these chocolaty cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature. You can make these cookies ahead of time and freeze them, but wait to decorate after thawing.
More Easy Peppermint Recipes
If you love all things peppermint, try my peppermint brownies next. Don't want to bake? Try my Peppermint Bark or white chocolate peppermint fudge, chocolate peppermint fudge and my easy peppermint mocha dessert dip, no bake peppermint pie or peppermint hot cocoa.
Easy Peppermint Mocha Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer or milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips plus extra for topping cookies
- 1 cup white chocolate chips optional
- peppermint baking chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, and beat slightly
- Stir in the cake mix, melted butter, peppermint extract and peppermint mocha coffee creamer, and mix until well combined
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Drop by rounded tablespoonful onto cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cookies
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are slightly firm
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely
- Optional - Melt the white chocolate chips, and drizzle over the cookies. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. Or, top cookies with crushed peppermint when they come out of the oven.
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
For more easy recipes and cookie recipes, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media.
Recipe was originally published in Nov 2016 and updated with new pictures and instructions in Dec 2023.