This Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe made with canned pumpkin and yellow cake mix is one of the easiest pumpkin desserts ever. This easy recipe is sure to be a family favorite, and it's perfect for fall gatherings and Thanksgiving!
This easy pumpkin dump cake recipe is the latest concoction made from these 2 simple ingredients, and it's a keeper!
You basically have a delicious pumpkin pie filling on the bottom and a sweet, buttery crunchy crust on top. This pumpkin cake is easier than pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake, and it takes less time than no-bake pumpkin pie.
You only need a few simple ingredients for this easy pumpkin dump cake recipe. You probably have everything you need in your fridge, pantry or grocery store:
- Boxed cake mix -- I used 1 box Betty Crocker yellow cake mix, but any brand is fine
- Can of pumpkin puree -- not pumpkin pie filling -- Get 1 large 29-ounce can or 2 15-ounce cans.
- Can evaporated milk
- Pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- Butter -- either salted or unsalted
- Brown sugar
How to Make Pumpkin Dump Cake
While most dump cake recipes just use canned fruit and cake mix, the pumpkin cake recipe is different. You need to add a few ingredients to the pumpkin puree to make it fluffier and more flavorful.
First, add the pumpkin puree, milk, vanilla, spices and brown sugar to a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to mix the ingredients together on low speed. Or, use a stand mixer if you want!
Tip -- You can taste the pumpkin mixture at this point to see if you like the taste. Add a little more cinnamon or pumpkin spice if you want a stronger spice flavor. Then, add the eggs, one at a time, beating well on medium speed after each one.
When the pumpkin filling is nice and smooth, pour the filling into a prepared baking dish. You can grease the dish with butter or use nonstick cooking spray.
Use a spatula to smooth the filling out so that it's nice and even.
Then, sprinkle the box of yellow cake mix over the filling. Gently smooth the dry cake mix with a spatula so that the cake mix is in an even layer.
Then, place the sliced pats of butter in rows over the dry cake mix. I used a stick and a half of butter here.
As the cake bakes, the butter melts and forms a delicious golden brown crust. Check the cake as it bakes. If there seems to be cake mix that isn't getting covered in melted butter, you can add a little more.
You can also increase the butter to 1 cup butter, or 2 sticks if you want.
Place the pumpkin cake into a preheated 350 oven and let it bake for 45 to 50 minutes. The actual cook time may vary depending on your oven.
The pumpkin dump cake is done when the top of the cake is golden brown and the filling is thick and no longer runny. The filling won't be firm until the cake cools down.
You can bake the cake for up to 60 minutes if needed -- just make sure the top doesn't get too brown.
I usually scoop dump cakes out with a spoon, and you'll have to when the cake is warm. If you serve the cake when it's completely cooled down, you can slice it into squares.
Serve this delicious pumpkin crunch cake topped with whipped cream and cinnamon.
Or, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and, maybe, caramel or chocolate syrup. Yum!
This pumpkin cake is super versatile and easy to customize. For more fall flavors, use spice cake mix instead of yellow cake mix to make pumpkin spice cake. Add maple syrup or rum extract instead of vanilla.
For more crunch, top the cake mix with chopped pecans or walnuts before baking.
Use heavy cream instead of evaporated milk for a richer filling.
How to Store
You can leave this easy pumpkin cake to cool down to room temperature on your counter if you're eating the same day. For longer storage, keep this pumpkin pie cake in the refrigerator.
Store leftover pumpkin dump cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It keeps well for 3 to 4 days before the top starts to get soggy.
Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 29 ounces pumpkin puree 1 large can or 2 15 ounce cans pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces evaporated milk 1 can
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1½ sticks butter cut into thin slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter or non-stick spray
- Add pumpkin puree, milk, brown sugar, pie spice, cinnamon and vanilla extract to a large bowl
- Use a hand mixer to mix the ingredients together on low speed until combined
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each one. When, mixture is fully combined and smooth, pour into prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin filling, and spread with a spatula or knife so that it covers the pumpkin pie filling
- Place pats of butter in neat rows over cake mix, and bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes or until top is golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly
My family loves this pumpkin dump cake! I hope you enjoy this easy recipe with yellow cake mix and canned pumpkin as much as we do.
For more easy recipes, be sure to sign up for the weekly newsletter!