Easy Soft Molasses Spice Cookies are chewy in the center, crisp around the edges and slightly sweet with a hint of spice. They’re perfect for the holidays!
A few years ago, a friend from the church we used to attend gave me her recipe for molasses cookies. Up until then, I had never even had molasses cookies before, but one bite, and I was hooked!
Unfortunately, I somehow lost the recipe after one of our moves, and I couldn’t find one that produced the soft, chewy cookies that I remembered. But last Christmas, I tried a recipe that I found on a jar of Grandma’s Molasses, and it was very close to the one I was looking for.
I made a few changes, but I’m really happy with the way the cookies turned out. They’re awesome!
They’re firm around the edges but soft and chewy in the middle. You can definitely taste the sweetness of the molasses and a hint of spice from the cinnamon and ginger. These cookies are also super easy to make.
The molasses jar cookie recipe calls for adding cloves, but I know the original cookies didn’t have any. So, I skipped the cloves and just added more of my favorite spice, cinnamon. A little extra cinnamon never hurt anyone!
And to make these spiced molasses cookies a little extra festive, I rolled them in a mix of granulated sugar and red sugar crystals. They’re perfect for Christmas, and they’ve definitely won a permanent spot on my holiday baking list!
How to Make Easy Soft Molasses Spice Cookies
Easy Soft Molasses Spice Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies (may use less)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar with electric mixer, then add the egg and molasses, and mix until fully combined
- Mix in 1 cup of flour, then add remaining flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
- Chill dough until slightly firm (about 5 minutes) If your kitchen is cool, and dough is firm, you can skip this
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfulls into granulated sugar, and roll until covered, then place on foil-lined cookie sheet
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are slightly firm
- Remove from oven, add more sugar or colored sugar crystals, if desired. Transfer to wire baking rack or another surface until completely cool
My family loved these easy soft molasses spice cookies, and even my picky teen, who normally only likes chocolate, gave them a thumbs up.
I hope you will too!