Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is a quick and easy pressure cooker soup recipe that requires minimal prep and takes minutes to make!
This winter has been colder than usual, so I’ve been cranking out easy Instant Pot soup recipes like crazy. I actually threw this easy Instant Pot creamy tomato basil soup together one day when the kids were home on break, and it was a huge hit. You’ll want to add this homemade creamy tomato soup to your list of Instant Pot recipes to try!
Growing up, I think we all thought the best tomato soup came from a can. Pair it with grilled cheese, and you’ve got instant comfort food. But, oh, you guys, homemade tomato basil soup is so, so much better!
Actually, a can is used here — I make Instant Pot soup with canned tomatoes. But, I use only diced tomatoes and no sauce, which makes this soup taste light and fresh — almost like it’s made with fresh tomatoes.
I based this soup recipe on my favorite stovetop recipe for tomato basil soup, but honestly, my family likes this pressure cooker tomato soup better. I tested a couple of Instant Pot tomato soup recipes over the past week, and this one was the winner — hands down!
How do you make tomato soup in a pressure cooker?
I tried to keep the prep work as easy as possible here, but you do need to give your Instant Pot tomato soup some flavor. Otherwise, you’re just cooking up tomatoes! Start by sauteing chopped onions in butter until they’re soft.
Next, add chicken broth and your cans of diced tomatoes. Then throw in basil, salt and pepper.
Can you make tomato soup from canned tomatoes?
Absolutely! I find diced tomatoes gave the soup better flavor than using crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce.
After the soup cooks, let it release naturally for a few minutes, then quickly release the remaining pressure. You can also let it release naturally, but the pot didn’t spray liquid everywhere. So if you’re in a hurry, a quick release is fine.
You’ll need an immersion blender to puree the tomato soup so that it gets velvety smooth. You can also use a regular blender.
Stir in some heavy cream and fresh basil for extra flavor. You can also top the soup with fresh basil and shredded Parm. Tastes like summer in the middle of winter!
Pair this delicious Instant Pot creamy tomato basil soup with Parmesan crusted grilled cheese or pizza grilled cheese, and it’s even better! Yum. Just yum.
More easy Instant Pot soup recipes
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 32-ounce carton low sodium organic chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Hit SAUTE button on Instant Pot, and add the butter and onion. Cook until slightly soft, stirring frequently
- Press Cancel, and pour in chicken broth, then diced tomatoes, basil, sea salt, and pepper
- Place lid on pressure cooker, turn vent to Sealing, and hit PRESSURE COOk for 5 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to come to pressure, then begin counting down and cook for 5 minutes
- When pot beeps, allow a 5 minute natural release, then do a quick release for remaining pressure
- When pin drops, carefully remove lid, and use immersion blender to blend ingredients until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream, and serve immediately or keep warm until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh basil and shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot tomato soup recipe as much as we do!