Instant Pot Pierogi Casserole made with frozen pierogi, kielbasa and peas is a quick and easy dinner that's creamy, cheesy and delicious comfort food!
Everyone needs a few super quick and easy meals to fall back on, and this easy pierogi casserole with kielbasa is definitely a keeper! Now that school is back in session, I'm all about fast dinners with easy clean-up, so I'm loving Instant Pot recipes right now!
It's easy to make pierogi casserole in the oven -- actually, the kids love Baked Pierogi and Kielbasa. But I used my pressure cooker since it's about 150 degrees out now, and I didn't want to heat up the house.
Use Frozen Pierogi
As much as I love my homemade pierogi recipe, I used frozen pierogies in this casserole for convenience. Nothing wrong with a short cut now and then.
I had to play around with the cook time because pressure cooker pierogi cook super fast. Let's just say that my family ate a lot of these little potato dumplings, but they definitely didn't complain!
This cheesy casserole is quick and easy comfort food, and even my picky eaters loved it. It's also super easy to reheat the leftovers, which really comes in handy when you have after school sports and other activities going on!
How to Make Pressure Cooker Pierogi and Kielbasa Casserole
You could make this a dump and start recipe, but I like to add a little more flavor by cooking onions and the Polish sausage in butter first. Just cook them until the onions are slightly soft.
Next, add the frozen pierogi over the kielbasa. Then, pour the water around the sides of the pressure cooker.
Top with a little bit of butter, and pressure cook the perogies. Since the pierogi are frozen, the pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, so don't worry!
Gently Stir the Pierogi
After pressure cooking, switch to saute mode, and throw in some frozen peas, along with heavy cream and shredded cheese. You do need to be very gentle when you stir the pierogies and kielbasa so that they don't fall apart.
I usually just carefully lift the pierogi up and around a little while I add the cheese. After the cheese is melted, turn the pot off, and serve the casserole right away.
Or, dump everything into a large casserole dish to allow the casserole to cool down slightly for easier serving. It might seem like there's too much liquid, but the cheese sauce will thicken as it cools down.
It'll be creamy, cheesy and perfect!
Baked Pierogi Kielbasa Casserole
To make the ultimate comfort food, add the pierogi and smoked sausage to a greased casserole dish after pressure cooking, and top with even more cheese. Then, broil for about 5 minutes or until the top is nice and crispy and the casserole is bubbling.
You guys, this cheesy smoked sausage and pierogi really is the ultimate comfort food. It's so dang good!
Instant Pot Pierogi Casserole Recipe
Instant Pot Pierogi Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 ropes kielbasa sliced
- 2 boxes pierogi frozen
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add 1 tablespoon butter, chopped onions and kielbasa
- Cook until onions are slightly soft, then hit CANCEL
- Add frozen pierogi over kielbasa, then pour in water, and add remaining butter on top
- Place lid on pressure cooker, make sure vent is set to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 1 minute
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then cook for 1 minute. Do a quick release, and when pin drops, remove lid, and hit CANCEL
- Pour in the frozen peas and heavy cream, then hit SAUTE and add cheese, 1 cup at a time, stirring VERY gently
- When liquid starts bubbling, hit CANCEL to turn pot off, and serve. Optional -- To help cool down, using hot mitts, carefully lift the inner pot out and pour contents into lightly greased casserole dish.
- Liquid will thicken as casserole cools. To make a baked casserole, layer more cheddar cheese with the pierogi and kielbasa, top with additional cheese, and broil in oven until top is crispy
More Instant Pot Casserole Recipes
I hope you enjoy this easy pierogi casserole as much as we do!