Make Instant Pot Kraft Mac and Cheese in your pressure cooker in just a few minutes with this easy recipe using your favorite boxed macaroni and cheese.
Yes, you can make boxed mac and cheese in the Instant Pot or any electric pressure cooker, really. It's super easy and definitely a kid friendly Instant Pot recipe!
I grew up with Kraft Mac and Cheese, but I always bought an organic brand for my own kids. Now, I usually make our favorite homemade Creamy Mac and Cheese or Kielbasa Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot.
Since we're home more now, I picked up some boxed mac and cheese to make for the kids' lunches. They love the stuff!
And, if you're wondering why anyone would want to make boxed mac and cheese in the Instant Pot, I'll tell you. Easy clean-up and no stirring! No lifting a heavy pot of water either!
How to Make Boxed Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
For this recipe, I used 2 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese so that we'd have some leftovers. I've even made 3 boxes without a problem.
First, pour the macaroni into the inner Instant Pot. Next, add some butter and water.
How Much Water
After testing the recipe with different amounts of water, I found that 3 cups of water is perfect for 2 boxes of macaroni. If you like your mac and cheese with thinner sauce, you can add 3 ½ cups of water to 4 cups of water.
How Long to Pressure Cook
Pressure cook the boxed mac and cheese for 4 minutes. This is the same time for 1, 2 or 3 boxes.
After pressure cooking, stir the macaroni. It might be a little sticky, but it loosens up as you stir it. If it seems like there's too much water, don't worry. The macaroni absorbs the extra water as it cools.
Then, add the cheese powder, milk and more butter. Stir the mac and cheese until it's all well combined and creamy.
The sauce thickens up as it cools down, so I like to transfer it to a large serving bowl. You can also just let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
Mix it Up
Basic mac and cheese is awesome on its own, but you can make it even better!
- Add some sliced cooked hot dogs or kielbasa. I make hot dogs in my air fryer, slice them up and toss them into the cooked mac and cheese before serving.
- If you like cheesier macaroni and cheese, stir in shredded cheese before serving. We like Colby Jack or cheddar.
- Want to spice things up? Add some Buffalo sauce or your favorite hot sauce!
- For extra creamy mac, use heavy cream instead of milk
Instant Pot Kraft Mac and Cheese Recipe
Instant Pot Kraft Mac and Cheese
- 2 7.25 ounce boxes Kraft Mac and Cheese
- 8 tablespoons butter divided in half
- 3 cups cold water
- ½ cup milk
- Pour the macaroni into the Instant Pot, and add water and half of the butter
- Place lid on pot, make sure valve is on sealing position, and pressure cook for 4 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to pressurize, then will count down and cook for 4 minutes. When pot beeps, do a quick release or gradual quick release to minimize liquid spraying out
- When pin drops, carefully remove lid, stir macaroni, and stir in remaining butter, milk and cheese powder until smooth and creamy