This leftover ham sandwich made with spiral ham slices and cheddar cheese baked in buttery soft rolls is an easy and delicious way to use up leftover holiday ham. Your whole family will love these hot ham and cheese sliders!
The best part about holiday dinners is enjoying delicious leftovers the next day. This simple recipe for hot ham and cheese sandwiches is a delicious way to use up leftover ham and leftover dinner rolls and feed the family at the same time.
Easy recipes are a must during the holiday season, and you can throw this decadent sandwich together in no time using a few simple ingredients.
If you have tons of extra ham left over, you can make Instant Pot mac and cheese with ham, ham and cheese breakfast strata, Instant Pot ham and lentil soup -- a great way to use the ham bone-- or any of these easy leftover ham recipes.
You only need 5 ingredients for this easy leftover ham recipe, plus any extras to jazz it up.
- Dinner rolls ( Hawaiian rolls )
- Ham slices -- I use thin slices of spiral ham
- Cheddar cheese -- sharp cheddar cheese or mild cheddar, sliced or grated
- Butter -- for extra flavor and softer texture for the rolls
- Yellow mustard -- optional, but I use Dijon mustard for added flavor
- Seasonings -- optional, but Italian seasoning or Everything Bagel seasoning adds extra flavor to the rolls
We always have slow cooker ham for Christmas dinner and Easter dinner, so I use leftovers from the Christmas ham or leftover Easter ham in this recipe.
How to Make the Best Leftover Ham Sandwiches
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees f. Then, prepare the dinner rolls. If you are using a whole package of Hawaiian rolls or regular dinner rolls, use a serrated knife to slice through all of the rolls at once.
It's the easy way, but you can slice them individually if you prefer.
Next, pull or slice the individual rolls apart. This makes it easier to serve the sandwiches.
Spread a little mayo and mustard, if you are using it, on the bottom of each roll. Then, places slices of ham over the mayo.
Next, place the cheese on top of the ham, and place the top of the rolls back over the bottoms.
Brush melted butter on the tops of the rolls. Then, sprinkle the seasoning mixture on top.
Cover the rolls with aluminum foil. Then place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
The sandwiches should be golden brown and heated through. You can bake them for a few more minutes if needed, especially if you are using thick slices of ham.
How to Store and Reheat
Store any leftover ham and cheese sandwiches in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat sandwiches in the oven or in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
You can make these baked ham sandwiches with deli meat if you don't have leftover spiral ham.
We also make these ham and cheese sliders with Swiss cheese, American cheese, Colby Jack, mozzarella and provolone cheese, so use your favorite cheese here.
Add leftover cranberry sauce or dried cranberries for extra flavor.
Use larger sandwich buns, provolone cheese and BBQ sauce to make these baked ham and cheese sliders.
Leftover Ham Sandwich Recipe
- 12 small dinner rolls
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon DIjon mustard optional
- 12 slices ham
- 12 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or Everything Bagel optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees f
- Slice dinner rolls in half using a serrated knife
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise and mustard on the bottom of the rolls
- Place ham slices on top of the mayo/mustard
- Add cheddar cheese slices over the ham
- Place tops of rolls over ham and cheese
- Brush melted butter on top of the rolls, and sprinkle seasoning over the rolls
- Cover with a piece of aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes or until sandwiches are heated through and cheese is melted
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this savory sandwich as much as we do. It's much easier than a Croque Monsieur or Monte Christo and a great way to use up extra ham!
For more fool-proof recipes, including easy recipes, dinner recipes and Instant Pot recipes, be sure to sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow on social media.