One Pot Chicken Alfredo is a super easy dinner made with chicken and penne pasta in a homemade creamy white sauce. Takes less than 30 minutes to make!
I just love one pot meals, especially on busy weeknights! This creamy chicken Alfredo with penne pasta is the stove-top version of one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes — Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo. It’s quick, easy, and you only have 1 pot to clean!
Even though this is a quick chicken dinner, I like to make Alfredo sauce from scratch using heavy cream. It’s just as easy as making chicken Alfredo with jarred sauce but tastes even better — promise!
How to Make Chicken Alfredo Penne Pasta
Personally, I like to use penne pasta when I make chicken Alfredo in one pot or in the pressure cooker. It’s just a little easier to manage than fettuccine, although you can definitely use longer noodles if you want.
To make one pot chicken Alfredo, cut your chicken into cubes. Then, season and cook in a large pot or Dutch oven until it’s no longer pink.
Next, add your uncooked penne pasta and water or chicken broth. Cover and cook until the penne starts to get soft, stirring every so often. You just want to make sure the pasta doesn’t stick together.
Add the butter and heavy cream and a pinch of nutmeg. Nutmeg is traditionally used in white sauce, and it just adds to the overall flavor. If you’re not a fan of nutmeg, don’t worry — You don’t really taste it.
Stir in grated Parmesan cheese, and cook the chicken pasta uncovered until the pasta is done. You can add more cream for a thinner sauce if you want. This recipe is super easy to customize!
The creamy white sauce thickens as it cools, and it sticks to the chicken and pasta perfectly. Tastes amazing, too! You can garnish the chicken Alfredo with a little fresh parsley and more Parm for extra flavor.
You guys — My family absolutely loved this one pot Chicken pasta. In fact, they said it was even better than the Instant Pot Alfredo, which is quite a compliment!
What Goes with Chicken Alfredo
- Broccoli — You can add fresh broccoli florets before the pasta finishes cooking or serve it on the side.
- Peas — Just stir frozen or thawed peas into the pasta right before it’s ready to serve.
- Spinach — Stir into the pasta before serving.
- Salad — Arugula is a nice complement to mild Alfredo, but any green salad works here.
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
One Pot Chicken Alfredo Recipe
One Pot Chicken Alfredo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 16-ounce box penne pasta uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter cut into large pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven, add chicken, season with sea salt, garlic powder and pepper, and cook over medium heat until no longer pink
- Add uncooked penne pasta and water, pushing down with spoon so that pasta is mostly submerged, then place lid on pot, and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently so that pasta doesn't stick to pot
- When pasta starts to soften, remove lid, and stir in butter and heavy cream
- Stir in ground nutmeg and Parmesan cheese, reduce heat, and cook, stirring frequently, until pasta is cooked to al dente or your liking
- Remove from stove, taste, and season with additional salt or pepper if needed. Top with fresh parsley and more Parmesan cheese, if desired
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media!