Patriotic Popcorn is a salty and sweet snack mix with pretzels and red, white and blue candy coated in chocolate. Perfect for 4th of July, Memorial Day and other patriotic holidays and a fun treat for summer cookouts!
This super easy sweet and salty snack mix is perfect for any patriotic holiday. It's a mix of popcorn, pretzel twists, white chocolate, red, white and blue M & M's, candy coating and red hots. Then, it's topped off with a sprinkle of red and blue sugar crystals for extra sparkle!
Whether you're having a cookout on Memorial Day or the 4th of July or just hanging out with family, you need some red, white and blue snacks to munch on, right? We make Bunny Bait for Easter, Monster Munch on Halloween, Christmas Crunch and a sweet and salty snack mix for Valentine's Day. So, of course, you need red white and blue popcorn for patriotic holidays, right?!
You can use either white chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate. Most patriotic snack mix recipes use the white chocolate, but you get a richer flavor from the dark. It also cuts down on the sweetness.
Ingredients for Red White and Blue Snack Mix
You only need a few simple ingredients to make patriotic popcorn snack mix:
- Popcorn -- We use Boom Chika Pop, but you can make your own
- Pretzel twists
- White chocolate or semi sweet
- Candy melts in patriotic colors
- Red, white and blue M&M's
- Red hots -- optional
- Seasonal sprinkles or colored sugar -- optional
How to Make Patriotic Popcorn
To keep things super quick and easy, I used a bag of Boom Chika Pop popcorn. You can use any brand here or pop your own. Just spread the popcorn on a large wax-paper-covered baking sheet. Next, add pretzels, and drizzle melted chocolate all over.
Let the chocolate cool down and firm up. If your house is warm, you may need to put the tray in the fridge for a little while. Then mix it with a spatula, and add the M & M candies and red hots.
Top it off by sprinkling red and blue sugar crystals all over. Then, mix it up again.
You might need to pop the tray in the fridge to help it firm up faster. Then, break the snack mix into pieces, and you're ready to dig in!
Store the patriotic popcorn in a tightly covered container so it stays fresh. You may need to store it in the fridge so that the chocolate doesn't melt. It should keep for about 4 days.
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more info.
- 8 cups popcorn we use Boom Chika Pop
- 3 cups pretzels
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- ½ cup each red, white, blue candy melts or coating
- 1 cup red, white and blue M&Ms
- cinnamon candies optional
- red and blue sugar sprinkles optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and evenly spread the popcorn and pretzels on the baking sheet
- Melt the white chocolate chips in 30 second intervals or follow directions on bag, and evenly drizzle the melted chocolate over the pretzels and popcorn
- Let the chocolate set for a little bit and mix the chocolate so that the pretzels and the popcorn is completely coated with chocolate
- Melt candy coating according to package directions, and drizzle over popcorn
- Add in the M&Ms, sprinkles, cinnamon candies
- Place the mixture in the fridge so that it can firm up. Break into smaller pieces, and store the mixture in a covered container in fridge
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
More Red, White and Blue Recipes
- Red, White and Blue Poke Cake
- Patriotic Candy Coated Pretzel Sticks
- Watermelon, Feta and Blueberry Salad
- Red, White and Blue Bark
Recipe published in 2019 and updated in 2021