Easy Southwest Egg Muffin Cups are loaded with mild chiles, bell peppers and cheddar cheese and topped with a savory seasoning blend. Make them ahead of time and they’re ideal for a delicious grab-and-go breakfast or mid-morning snack!
Thank you McCormick for sponsoring this post. Visit your local Wal-Mart to pick up McCormick Good Morning Breakfast for your family!
Let me just say that I’m definitely not a morning person. And, I know I’m not the only mom on the planet who is rushing to get her kids out the door on time for school -- right? That’s why I love having a healthy grab-and-go breakfast ready and waiting in the mornings!
The beauty of make-ahead breakfasts is that you can prepare them on the weekends and save them to use during the week. Sometimes, I make a big batch of homemade muffins or breakfast burritos, but this time, I made these low carb Southwest egg muffin cups. These little scrambled egg cups are super easy to make, and you can whip up a batch in no time.
Just scramble some eggs, and add your mix-ins. For these muffins I added diced peppers and mild chiles. I also threw in a cup of cheddar cheese. Sometimes, I add cooked ham or sausage to the egg muffins.
Then, bake them for about 20 minutes, and add some extra cheese on the top if you want. For a little extra flavor and crunch, I topped them off with a dash of McCormick Good Morning Breakfast Toppers.
I used the Southwest Chipotle flavor, which adds a touch of smoky heat and extra crunch from chia and flax seeds. It’s not super spicy, though, so my kids were fine with it. We also like the Blueberry Ginger and Cocoa Banana flavors. It’s an easy way to give your breakfast favorites an instant flavor upgrade. You can
- Sprinkle on yogurt, cottage cheese or fruit.
- Stir into hot cereal for a crunchy twist.
- Shake on buttered bagels or toast.
We also like to use the sweet toppers on fruit dips or peanut butter for a fun after school snack!
Looking for More Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas?
- Crispy Sausage Egg Breakfast Burritos
- Crispy Salsa Verde Breakfast Burritos
- Cheesy Ham and Egg Muffin Cups
- Cheesy Sausage and Egg Muffin Cups
Recipe for Southwest Egg Muffin Cups
Southwest Egg Muffin Cups
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 7- ounce can diced green chiles drained
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- McCormick Breakfast Toppers in Southwest Chipotle Flavor
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large mixing bowl, scramble the eggs, using a wire whisk
- Whisk in the salt, onions and pepper
- Stir in the bell pepper, chiles and 1 cup cheese, and mix well
- Pour evenly into a greased 12-cup muffin tin
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center is clean and tops are firm
- Remove from oven, and top with additional shredded cheese and McCormick Breakfast Toppers
- Allow to cool slightly, then remove from muffin tin and enjoy!
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy these Southwest Egg Muffin Cups as much as we do!
Miz Helen says
We will really enjoy your Southwest Egg Muffin Cups, I love a grab n go like this! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back to see us real soon!
Debi H says
What temp do you bake these at?
You bake them at 350 degrees. 🙂
This is such a fantastic idea. I'm going to make a batch soon for quick weekday breakfast
Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy them. 🙂
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
I might have to make these for Thomas this weekend! They look like the perfect little breakfast!
Thanks, Angie! I made these again last weekend -- big hit with the family. 🙂
Ashlyn @ Belle of the Kitchen says
I love make ahead breakfasts like this! Perfect for my on the go family!
Jacque Hastert says
Love anything with a southwestern kick.
What a great grab and go breakfast option.
Katerina @ diethood .com says
I love egg muffins!! These look SO delicious!!
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet says
We love egg muffins! So easy and delicious!
Dorothy at Shockinglydelish says
I love the Southwestern twist! Can't wait to make these when I meal prep for the week!